News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tightening stone-holding nut

Started by Elmer, February 10, 2011, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmer

Following the instructions on page 157 of the Maintenance & Tips section in the instruction book I apply the 19mm spanner to the nut to tighten it to hold the stone on the shaft.
Tapping the hammer on the spanner, even with the stone held firmly, seems to cause the shaft & honing wheel to turn with the nut.
I resist the obvious temptation to hold the honing wheel! (as instructed)
As soon as I run the grinder the stone slips on the shaft, so obviously the nut in not tight enough.
What should I do, please?
Thanks.
Best, Elmer

ionut

You MUST hold on the honing wheel.

Ionut

Elmer

Thank you but as a newcomer to this machine I'm reluctant to hold the honing wheel as the book expressly states
"Important: Do not hold the honing wheel as there is a risk of damaging the centre of the drive wheel!"
How best to solve this?
Elmer.

ionut

Sorry Elmer, you are right, I forgot you have a T3 machine and my answer was in a context of a T7.

Ionut

Jeff Farris

The trick is to get the nut relatively tight by hand, put the wrench on the nut, hold the grindstone, not the honing wheel and tap the wrench with the hammer.
Jeff Farris

Elmer

Thanks to all who replied. I think I've solved it & can now tighten the nut!
Best,
Elmer