News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

cloudy water with anti corrosion liquid

Started by Drew M, December 01, 2023, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew M

So I got my diamond stone, new stainless drive shaft.  I mixed up my first batch of water + anti corrosion liquid and got some seriously cloudy water. 

I have extremely had water where I live.  So I have a couple questions that I could not find an answer to.

Should I be filtering the complete ACC treated water to remove this cloudy substance that is almost certainly calcium precipitate?

Would a filtered/bottled water or distilled water be a better choice considering my hard water?

I posted this to a wood turning group on face book so forgive the link.  I was not wanting to do a bunch of double work putting the photo in multiple locations just to post.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=7623021287725797&set=gm.2582442465249426&idorvanity=255952437898452

Ken S

Drew,

I look at any of the Tormek grinding wheels as investments. I do not think they are overpriced; however, they are expensive enough to be worth the effort and expense of using carefully. You are off to a good start by not skimping and using ACC. I would suggest taking things to the next level and switching from your very hard water to very clean distilled water.

Popular Science magazine had a wonderful monthly story when I was a boy sixty years ago. Gus was the wise hero mechanic of The Model Garage. Gus used to say that you can't tune an engine with dirty oil. I feel the same way about the water in the water trough of my Tormek. When in doubt, go for the gold with your Tormek!

Ken

Drew M

Ken,
Thanks.  I have found only one other reference to this kind of thing.  It was with Honerite gold and the individual has the same issue I do, some kind of white precipitate with tap water. 

As a test, I used some regular bottled water from my local supermarket, no white precipitate.  I am kind of surprised that no one has seen this or that Tormek does not have some information about this on their website.  I can't possibly be the only one who has seen this with the ACC-150.

Anyways, bottled water from here forward.

RichColvin

Additionally, well water like we have has a very high iron content so there will be more accumulation of iron in the water and on the grinding wheel. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.