News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How can I make SG stone coarser?

Started by Sharpco, November 16, 2017, 08:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

The coarse side of the stone grader does not seem to make the SG stone coarse enough. And the stone soon becomes smooth again. The result is the same even if I press strongly or use edge.

Is there any way to make SG stone coarser?

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on November 16, 2017, 08:16:10 PM
The coarse side of the stone grader does not seem to make the SG stone coarse enough. And the stone soon becomes smooth again. The result is the same even if I press strongly or use edge.

Is there any way to make SG stone coarser?

Might be time to look into a low grit CBN wheel?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

brettgrant99

The manual says that you can use the Truing Tool, but I have not tried to sharpen anything after using it.  When I true my stone, I practice moving the diamond tip at a constant rate.  When I do it right, the stone looks like it has a screw thread on it.

Good Luck,
Brett

jeffs55

These stones are not infinitetly variable. You only get what the design parameters call for. In other words, for the first few seconds of grading you get one grade.....................or not, and then you get the designed for grade. Tormek has designed their stones to disintegrate at a pre determined rate. I think your stone is different from the one that ships with the stone but the principal is the same or even simpler. There may be NO designed change to the grit.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.