News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Website : Sharpening Handbook

Started by RichColvin, June 08, 2017, 01:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I am debuting a web site I've put together which I have titled "Sharpening Handbook".  Here's the link :

SharpeningHandbook.info

What It Is :  This is designed to be a quick reference guide for sharpening.  It is not intended to tell you how to sharpen, but to give you information you can use if you already know how to sharpen, but need to sharpen a tool that you don't sharpen often or haven't sharpened recently.

Others have done a great job giving information on how to sharpen.  Among the ones I have are :

• Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged Tools by Steve Bottorff (2010)
  • The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee (1996)

So there is no need to replace what already exists.

Sometimes, the way to sharpen something is difficult to describe, but easy to show visually.  Thusly, I have borrowed visuals from the Tormek guide (BIG thank you to Tormek for letting me reference their material).  For one tool (the Sorby Spiralling & Texturing Tool), I've added a link to a YouTube video provided by the vendor which shows quite well how to sharpen it.

This Isn't Just a Tormek Marketing Tool :  I am a big fan of the Tormek and have invested loads in their jigs.  But sometimes, there isn't a Tormek way to sharpen something.  In those cases, I have outlined what I do as that works for me.  One example is the Sorby Spiralling & Texturing Tool, on which I used a diamond file (watch the video to see).

What This Won't Be :  A forum for debating one tool type vs. another (e.g., Tormek vs. Sorby's ProEdge).  The idea is to show what the angle of the tool's edge should be.  It also won't be a forum for debating things like hollow vs. flat grinding.  I intend to show only the ideas behind both as it regards the edge angles.

Why I Put This Together :  I don't have a lot of free time, and searching for information is something I don't like to do more than once.  So I began compiling this type of information together for myself.  I used Evernote, and that worked well, but I came to the realization that others might benefit from the same information.  So, I have started publishing what I gathered.

How To Use It :  It is web based with no flash nor any ads.  You can bring it up on your computer, or a tablet, and even on your smart phone (though you should use it in landscape mode on the phone).  You don't need a user ID, and I don't have the need to track who goes there and who doesn't.

What It Is Called What It Is :  Every machinist will have a copy of Machinery's Handbook.  As I have gotten into some metal work, I now have one too.  It is a similar reference book, in that it doesn't tell me how to do machining, but gives me information such as what hole size to drill for given screw threads.  Something that is very nice to have handy when needed.

My Ask of You :  Please be so kind as to check it out and tell me what you think is good, and what needs to be improved.  This will be a continual work in progress, so, if you have some good information or wisdom, kindly send it to me and I will add it to the site.  (I'll be glad to reference you as the source.)  I've denoted the eMail account to use on the web site.

Final Note :  I'm still developing this, so it's not fully fleshed out yet.  You will see some items listed that don't have information pages yet.  I will get to that as I can (or you can send me information and I'll put it there).

Thank you,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich, I will keep the link to your Sharpening Handbook in my favorites and will refer to it often.

One request: For tools usually sharpened with the Tormek, would you please include a suggested stone grader grit? I think this is critical information, and all too often left out.

Keep up the good work.

Ken

RichColvin

I've added two new additions recently that may be of use to people :

• Knives (Kitchen, Pocket, and Woodworking)
  • Twist drill bits
Special thanks to Ton Nillesen (the Dutchman) for allowing his guides to be put on the site. It is a great reference and definitely helpful to Tormek users. 

Kindly let me know if you see any errors.  Also, if you have differing opinions (I expect them for the knives part), do let me know.  I only ask that you also let me know why you feel that way.

Oh yeah, still waiting for some microscopic pictures of ground edges ...

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Dutchman

Maybe you could add a reference to "Experiments on Knife Sharpening" by John D. Verhoeven
You can find it on http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/knifeshexps.pdf
I have learned a lot from that publication.

RichColvin

Ton,

Thank you for the recommendation.  I added that link as I too find it to be a very useful document.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S

Rich,

I believe your Sharpening Handbook will become an increasingly useful reference tool.

Having immediate access to information can be invaluable. Using Dutchman's tables as an example, I was quickly able to make up kenjigs for paring knives held in just the standard Tormek knife jig (instead of using the combination of the knife jig and the small blade holder to match the Distance of the larger knives).

I also made up a very quick kenjig of cardboard for my Chinese cleaver, All I needed was Dutchman's one page chart (the chart which matched my grinding wheel diameter; a piece of cardboard; a metric ruler; pencil; and scissors. Making a kenjig this way is fast enough to be practical for a farmers market sharpener to do it "on the fly".

Knowledge is power. Great job, Rich!

Ken

RichColvin

I've made some updates to the site, adding instructions for a few new tools.

Two new things have been added: 

• I've added a section where information on useful tools or jigs for sharpening will be provided (it is in the Sharpening Resources link).
  • The second new addition is Jan's guide for using a laser as a goniometer.

Thanks to Jan for the addition.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S