News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 water trough

Started by Ken S, October 02, 2016, 05:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Whenever I review a Tormek product, I ask two questions:

1) Is this product an improvement over the similar existing product?

2) Is this new product enough of an improvement, in my opinion, to be worth purchasing for an existing Tormek user who is generally happy with the older product?

Every product I have reviewed is an improvement over the older product it replaces. The new zinc machines better than the older metal. Capacity is usually improved. The jigs and accessories just work better.

Some new jigs, like the 186 gouge jig and the SE-77 are improved enough that I feel a present user of the older jigs would be well served to upgrade.

What about the new liftable water trough on the T8? Is it really better or just fancier? Last night I was doing some sharpening and was interrupted. I thought I would return quickly enough that I did not even lower the water trough. (Bad form; shame on me! :(  ) This morning, I hurredly ran downstairs and lowered the water trough. I did not return to empty the water trough until this evening, feeling quite slovenly. I removed the magnet and watched the metal grindings dissapate from the now non magnetic side. The rounded shape really is substantially easier to clean. I also noticed very little spilled water and only in front of the Tormek. I was impressed.

I was sharpening a very long blade. I should have used the long extension on the water trough. Next time I will use it. I am a creature of habit and have never used the extension. I must develop better habits.

I know most of us will not trade in our faithful SuperGrinds or T7s for the T8. I share that same feeling, although I admit the new T8 water trough is growing on me. It certainly is easy to clean and the holding mechanism is more definite than the T7 catches.

Ken

grepper

I have a T7 and it's a trooper, but I would say that rounded inside edges in the water trough would be a good improvement.

I've seen square edges and corners in a lot of stuff that makes it more, if not almost impossible to clean.  Even decorative designs on the outside of equipment cases, for example, that are not necessary for structural strength may look cool, but are simply a place for crud to accumulate and make cleaning more difficult.

To me, rounded edges and corners on a lot of stuff have always seemed like kind of, well... duh! Many times I find my self scratching my head and wondering, who designs this stuff anyway?  Didn't they every try to use it? 

I'm not upgrading a T7 for a T8 for a rounded water trough interior, but it sure seems like a good idea to me.  Hmmm... Teflon?

SharpenADullWitt

Is it really the rounded shape, or is it the magnet that is easily removable that makes it easier to clean?  That is one comment my father made about his new wider water tray.  Yes it has a magnet, but if the magnet were more easily removable, then something could be made into a scraper.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

It is a combination of the removable magnet and the round shape. The removable magnet is a definite plus, however, in my opinion, the round shape  is the primary reason the T8 trough is easier to clean. A plastic putty knife would work as a scraper. Frankly, if the trough is drained and cleaned regularly, no scraper should be necessary.

Grepper, I have seen inserts designed to be placed in the inside corners of drawers designed to make dusting easier. like you, I really like the new water trough, but not enough to switch machines.

Ken