News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Scandi Grind

Started by Ruthless4645, June 12, 2013, 04:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruthless4645

I need a little help, other than "free hand" is there a way to use the T7 to sharpen a scandi grind blade, it's much too shallow to use the small tool holder as the holder hits the stone. I think it's like a 7% angle, on a small 3" blade...

Thanks in advance
Paul

Rob

brace yourself for a flood of small knife jig responses :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ruthless4645

Hey Rob, I've tried the little knife jig but it wont work, blade angle is to shallow and the jig hits the stone.

Thx

MakerUnknown

Just thinking off the top of my head.  Is the steel in the blade attracted to a magnet?  If a jig could be positioned above the blade and held to by rare earth magnets you could get around the jig hitting the stone problem.

Rhino

I have a suggestion but maybe it is not a solution.

Basically the small knife jig is too thick.  You need something to clamp just a little bit.  I found good success using utility blades as shims.

like this:

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
                            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
                            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Where K is your knife.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is your utility blade or shims.  You can add as many as you want to match the thickness of your knife.  And you can add any additional as engineering requirements demand.
ssssssssss is the small knive jig clamping down hard.

It is not as strong as a think clamp of steel but with some care I've had good results sharpening many small blades.  I like my method because there is no metal work involved, and the utility blades are readily available at any hardware store and is cheap, and you do not have to permanently alter anything (like drilling a hole).