News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Touch n turn feedback

Started by Rob, March 24, 2013, 05:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I thought it worth mentioning to all wood turners thinking about getting the Tormek turners jig set.....just do it

I started turning relatively recently having previously used my Tormek for other woodworking edge tools and kitchen knives.

I bought the jigs and moaned about the price as one does.

Well, it's turned out to be by far the best value I've extracted from my Tormek. Particularly fingernail grind bowl gouges in my case. I was dreading sharpening them at the start but needn't have worried. The Tormek chews them up and spits them out in seconds. It is absolutely invaluable and my turning operation would grind to a halt (pardon the pun) in no time without the old faithful
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Good point, Rob.  I believe that although the Tormek delivers trooper service with things like plane blades, chisels, and knives, it really shines with turning tools (and drill bits). 

Ken

Rob

It is truly remarkable when you consider the multiple compound angles or radiused blades....perfect every time
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I agree, rob.  Tormek really did its homework with these jigs.  As part of the research, I believe they consulted with leading turners.  Well done, AB.

Ken

Rob

Yup, Jeff mentions something along those lines in the dvd that comes with the jigs.  The settings that are wired into the turning tool setter were gleaned from discussion with world renowned turners for fingernail ground bowl gouges.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Welcome to Valhalla, Rob.  You are the first "foreigner" :) to achieve hero status!

best wishes,

Ken

ps. Nice photo of your kids.

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Congrats Rob.

Ken, since he's on the same continent as Sweden, and a lot closer to it than us, maybe we're the foreigners?!   :o
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Thanks Herman

Hey guys....Ive been working in and out of the US for many years and I have no doubt at all that our cultures are incredibly similar, far more so than Europe in fact.  Its rather weird in many respects....I really noticed it after 9/11....the Brits and the Yanks were all on page....everyone else was on the fence (specially the French).

Although Britain is geographically in Europe its very significantly more like US culture on very many levels (We're the fifty something state!!!)
So no ones a foreigner in my book :-)
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Elden

Ken S

Rob, the transatlantic ribbing is of course all in good fun.  Actually, most of my ancestors were English.  You English certainly know how to keep good records.  My 11th great grandfather, John Hopkins, a man of modest means and no particular notoriety, died in 1594, and his estate inventory is still on file!

Impressive!

ken

Herman Trivilino

Speaking of transatlantic, it was 100 years ago tomorrow that, using the Marconi wireless, the first transatlantic news service was established between New York and London.

Ken S

Interesting.  Thanks for posting it, Herman.  It's amazing how far we have come in just a hundred years.

As a boy, I remember nondial telephones, the old "Number please" era.  Long distance calls were individually placed by operators.  Now we can communicate anywhere in the world via cel phone or skype.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

From here in Texas we'll be Skyping with the grandkids (and their parents) in England on Sunday.  We don't often stop and think how awesome that technology is, even though just a decade ago it would've seemed amazing.