News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Questions of new user regarding T4 and DBS

Started by keesh, September 16, 2023, 10:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keesh

Dear all,

I just bought a Tormek T4 and DBS-22, at first sight to sharpen drill-bits, but while it's so versatile, I want to use it for knifes, scissors as well.

I watched the Tormek video on Youtube

I was wondering if the whole width of the stone can be used during grinding. So can you get with the drill bit beyond the side edges of the grinding stone while grinding? If yes, I should say that the stone will remain more flat for a longer time, while the man on the video doesn't use the whole width.

2nd question. Can I use normal water, out of the tap? I live in Holland, the quality of the drinking water is quite good. What use the most people on their Tormek?

3rd question. While I have a small shed, space for storing equipment is always a problem. How long does it take before the stone is completely dry? Can I store the machine in the original (cardboard) package? Can I store the stone separately from the machine, and if yes, how? Store flat (in the package) or hanging at the bore?

Many thanks!

Kees

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Kees.

You should be able to use the while width of your grinding wheel with the DBS-22. Just keep in mind that there is no automatic stop and use some care.

The Tormek is designed to operate using normal tap water.

I can recommend from personal experience not storing damp grinding wheels in the cardboard boxes. Your grinding wheel will remain damp for several days. After emptying and cleaning your water trough, you can leave your grinding wheel mounted. It will dry naturally.

Enjoy the journey of learning the Tormek and keep us posted. I have found the online class series an invaluable learrning aid.

Ken

Dan

Kess,
Be aware that the stone will stay wet for some time (as Ken says) so you need to make sure that the temperature in your shed will remain above freezing!! Not sure if it is heated or not but the tone may crack if the temperature gets too low.
Danny

keesh

Quote from: Ken S on September 16, 2023, 01:32:48 PMWelcome to the forum, Kees.

You should be able to use the while width of your grinding wheel with the DBS-22. Just keep in mind that there is no automatic stop and use some care.

The Tormek is designed to operate using normal tap water.

I can recommend from personal experience not storing damp grinding wheels in the cardboard boxes. Your grinding wheel will remain damp for several days. After emptying and cleaning your water trough, you can leave your grinding wheel mounted. It will dry naturally.

Enjoy the journey of learning the Tormek and keep us posted. I have found the online class series an invaluable learrning aid.

Ken

Thank you. I will use it with some care. I also saw the LA-120 in the video, where they deburred the inside of the drill-bit. Is this neccessary? Or is it nice to have? Likely, this is doable for a bigger drill-bit but for 3 mm drill-bit it would be hard I gues..

I guess when the grinding wheel has damped out, I can store it in the cardboard box. Question is after how many days / weeks...

keesh

Quote from: Dan on September 16, 2023, 03:11:00 PMKess,
Be aware that the stone will stay wet for some time (as Ken says) so you need to make sure that the temperature in your shed will remain above freezing!! Not sure if it is heated or not but the tone may crack if the temperature gets too low.
Danny

Good point! My shed is isolated (and made of bricks/concrete) so I guess it will work out.

Ken S

Kess, (or is it Keesh? I like to spell people's names correctly.)

Danny makes a good point about avoiding wheel freezing. One of the outstanding features of the T4 is its light weight. As a senior citizen, the T8 can be a bit much for me to carry. The T4 is no problem. Either is easier to carry with the grinding wheel removed.

My suggestion with a shed is to carry your grinding wheel into your house during colder weather and put it in a good place to dry.

A plastic container for your grinding wheel would be useful. I would check in the local grocery store.

Ken

keesh

Quote from: Ken S on September 17, 2023, 12:16:31 PMKess, (or is it Keesh? I like to spell people's names correctly.)

Danny makes a good point about avoiding wheel freezing. One of the outstanding features of the T4 is its light weight. As a senior citizen, the T8 can be a bit much for me to carry. The T4 is no problem. Either is easier to carry with the grinding wheel removed.

My suggestion with a shed is to carry your grinding wheel into your house during colder weather and put it in a good place to dry.

A plastic container for your grinding wheel would be useful. I would check in the local grocery store.

Ken

Its Kees, typical Dutch name ;).

Maybe I make a fixed stud bolt on the wall to store the wheel, so the machine is less high so that I can store it elsewhere..

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: keesh on September 17, 2023, 01:58:26 PMMaybe I make a fixed stud bolt on the wall to store the wheel, so the machine is less high so that I can store it elsewhere..

I made a video here doing the same thing. Hope you find it useful.

https://youtu.be/X1YdJeEAAFI?si=p2JCH7V2Wvm_pDnA

cbwx34

Quote from: keesh on September 16, 2023, 10:18:09 AM...
I was wondering if the whole width of the stone can be used during grinding. So can you get with the drill bit beyond the side edges of the grinding stone while grinding? If yes, I should say that the stone will remain more flat for a longer time, while the man on the video doesn't use the whole width.

2nd question. Can I use normal water, out of the tap? I live in Holland, the quality of the drinking water is quite good. What use the most people on their Tormek?

This video might be worth a watch...

...around 9:00 he sharpens a drill bit, and looks like he uses the whole width.

Tap water is fine... I use it, and my water is definitely not "good".  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

keesh

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 19, 2023, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: keesh on September 16, 2023, 10:18:09 AM...

This video might be worth a watch...

...around 9:00 he sharpens a drill bit, and looks like he uses the whole width.

Tap water is fine... I use it, and my water is definitely not "good".  :D

Thanks for your answer. TO be honest, I don't see on the video that he's using the whole width of the stone...  ::)

I read somewhere also about a magnet in the water tray. That seems to be an good idea to catch metal chips..

cbwx34

keesh

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 22, 2023, 08:47:35 PM
Quote from: keesh on September 22, 2023, 08:43:25 PMI don't see it..  ::)

Don't see the video, or that he's using the whole width? ???

Here's the direct link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSUa1iFUzkM&t=578s

No.. I saw the video, but it isn't clear to me that he uses the whole width.. :-X

cbwx34

Quote from: keesh on September 23, 2023, 10:11:23 AMNo.. I saw the video, but it isn't clear to me that he uses the whole width.. :-X

Ah.  Hard to tell for sure... I look at the water flow, helps to show where it's making contact.

RichColvin

I have a SuperGrind 2000 & a T-8.  On both, I use the full width when using the DBS-22.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

keesh

Quote from: RichColvin on September 23, 2023, 08:11:19 PMI have a SuperGrind 2000 & a T-8.  On both, I use the full width when using the DBS-22.

So you slide with the drill bit completely beyond the outer edge of the grinding stone?