News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Looking For A Good Microscope...

Started by darita, May 15, 2023, 11:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

but don't want to spend more than $500.  I was looking at this one, as it gets in pretty close and has good resolution.  Is there one that gets closer with greater resolution and and gets even closer?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7NKGH1C?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

RickKrung

Have you searched the forum for previous discussions on microscopes.  There has been a fair bit of discussion.  Also, on the BESS Exchange.

I've tried quite a variety, up to one USB unit costing $1200.  The best, most versatile, most informative and cheapest has been the Kingmas 60X hand microscope.  Do a search on "Kingmas" to read posts on this question from many forum users. I have three or four of these around my shop and use it for any number of task.  It is also the only magnifier for getting out extremely tiny slivers.

Rick

You cannot view this attachment.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

darita

Thanks for the info and I'll do that search. I've seen pics that look close, but without great resolution and some that look molecular (exaggeration).

3D Anvil

Quote from: darita on May 15, 2023, 11:52:09 PMbut don't want to spend more than $500.  I was looking at this one, as it gets in pretty close and has good resolution.  Is there one that gets closer with greater resolution and and gets even closer?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7NKGH1C?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
I had one of those Tomlovs and ended up returning it because it had a decentered lens.  Only about 1/2 of the frame could be brought into focus.

darita

Well, I purchased that Tomlov and here's a chisel edge pic.  Thoughts?

darita

Here's a knife edge pic after some tweeking of the camera...

darita

And another part of that knife edge...

Drilon

Quote from: RickKrung on May 16, 2023, 03:53:38 PMHave you searched the forum for previous discussions on microscopes.  There has been a fair bit of discussion.  Also, on the BESS Exchange.

I've tried quite a variety, up to one USB unit costing $1200.  The best, most versatile, most informative and cheapest has been the Kingmas 60X hand microscope.  Do a search on "Kingmas" to read posts on this question from many forum users. I have three or four of these around my shop and use it for any number of task.  It is also the only magnifier for getting out extremely tiny slivers.

Rick

You cannot view this attachment.

I also use a tiny microscope like yours to check the edge. Perfect for this job!