News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Angle Setter "Black Edition"

Started by Perra, April 19, 2023, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perra

Hi Ken and all of you other out there
Now are the third generation of my angle setter tool complete and you asking for more information about it in the previous thread. So here it is.

I call it the Knife Angle Setter "Black Edition" (In honor of Tormeks 50th anniversary)

The tool allows you to work very easily and quickly with angle setting between e.g. grinding and honing where you want to use the jig to hold the knife, it helps to set the usb support at the right height. No measurements or calculators are needed to use it, nor any other measuring tools. It may look complicated but it is very fast and simple to work with and easy to learn to use and understand.

The most exciting thing about it is that it is based on a self-adjustment function for different grinding wheel sizes, 150-250mm that means it works for both T4 and T8. The principle could maybe also work for other tools as well.

Enclosing two documents with explanation and pictures where you can read more about it.

I hope there is someone who likes the idea and maybe gets inspired to make an own copies. It might be little difficult for those of you who don't have machines, tools and opportunities to produce all the parts needed, but the principle it is based on can perhaps be used as inspiration.

The project grew a bit from the first prototype as I received questions and suggestions from you members that pushed me to develop and improve the first variant. Thank you so much for your inspiration.
It has been an exciting rabbit hole anyway. 

Hope you like it!

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Well done!  A lot of work went into that.

Dutchman

Nice piece of equipment. Handy to use, without additional resources such as computers and software.
Nice documentation too. Congratulations.

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Perra

Thank you for all the nice reviews and kind words. I personally think it turned out really well and my tests so far have been positive in terms of angle accuracy. Especially when it adjusts to different wheel sizes.
And it works well with other knife jigs too, not just the Kj-45.
Now I'm looking for a new rabbit hole... ;D  ;D

Samuel

Great minds think alike  :)

Congratulations on a fine solution Perra, very impressive and detailed work.
We need to reveal in this forum that the Tormek innovation team has developed a similar invention based on the same principles as yours. The product is patented and closing in towards launch.

We reveal this only with the well meaning intention to prevent someone from investing time and money into a product unable to be put to market due to IP rights.

Thank you Perra for your profound engagement. We feel fortunate to have such dedicated users.

Regards
Samuel Stenhem
CEO Tormek.

Perra

Thank you Samuel
I really hope I didn't cause problems for Tormek! I really had no idea you were working on a similar project. If I had known, I probably wouldn't have published anything before your launch.
I do this on a hobby level. I have no intentions to produce or market and sell my product on the market. Just a couple of copies for my friends. So it's no problem for me.
You are of course welcome to take part and use everything I have shown if it is something that can improve your products. I would only be proud if I can be of use to Tormek.
It is exciting that we arrived at similar principles for our solutions. Congratulations to your development team and me.  :)
Regards. Per Perra

cbwx34

Quote from: Samuel on April 20, 2023, 09:11:25 PM...
We need to reveal in this forum that the Tormek innovation team has developed a similar invention based on the same principles as yours. The product is patented and closing in towards launch.

Guess I need to look at the patent page more often... ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment. 

Patent Link

3D Anvil

Samuel

Quote from: Perra on April 20, 2023, 10:37:59 PMThank you Samuel
I really hope I didn't cause problems for Tormek! I really had no idea you were working on a similar project. If I had known, I probably wouldn't have published anything before your launch.
I do this on a hobby level. I have no intentions to produce or market and sell my product on the market. Just a couple of copies for my friends. So it's no problem for me.
You are of course welcome to take part and use everything I have shown if it is something that can improve your products. I would only be proud if I can be of use to Tormek.
It is exciting that we arrived at similar principles for our solutions. Congratulations to your development team and me.  :)
Regards. Per Perra

No problem at all Perra.
We really appreciate our fans and the creativity around our products.

Regards Samuel

Dutchman

Now that the new anglesetter has been mentioned by Samuel from Tormek and the drawing in the patent application has been shown by cbwx34, I feel free to stop keeping my test report a secret.
At the request of Tormek's CEO, I tested the new design of an angle-setter in December 2022 and wrote the attached report.

cbwx34

Self-centering knife jig ☑️
Knife Angle Setter ☑️
Knife Jig Pivot Adapter.... 😜

Quote from: Dutchman on April 21, 2023, 11:04:23 AMNow that the new anglesetter has been mentioned by Samuel from Tormek and the drawing in the patent application has been shown by cbwx34, I feel free to stop keeping my test report a secret.
At the request of Tormek's CEO, I tested the new design of an angle-setter in December 2022 and wrote the accompanying report.

An interesting report.  (Probably should wait until I have one, but I'll ask questions anyway)...

Why does the USB have to be lowered into position?
Can you use it on the honing side (with an FVB?)
Where's that video? ;)

Ken S

Per,
When I first posted the kenjig, I named it the "KS-150" (Knife Setting tool, 150mm length). Tormek nicely asked me to rename it, as it was not an authorized Tormek product. It was a reasonable request, so I renamed it. We are still buds.
I like your design. It seems very practical and is far more sophisticated than the old kenjig, which still works for its intended function.

Do not become discouraged. Neither of us has a profit motive, only to share with the community. We need that spirit. Carry on!

Ken