News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Deburring on the stone

Started by 3D Anvil, May 27, 2022, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Anvil

I was struggling a bit with burr formation, in the sense that I was ending up with a fairly sizable burr on the SG stone (graded fine) no matter how lightly and quickly I did my final passes.  That can be fixed on the leather wheel, of course, but I've always preferred to start honing with an absolutely minimal burr.

Yesterday I had one of those head slap moments when it occurred to me to shut off the motor and just lightly draw the blade across the stone to knock off the burr, which is a common enough strategy in free-hand sharpening.  Works great!

nevertakeadayoff

Yes! When I first got the Tormek, I was thinking about how to get the wheel to turn slow, then I tried it freehand like and was so surprised how easy it is!

Deburring is like drying and curing cannabis... if you screw up the last part, you waste all the time you put into it.

I can't believe no one posted here, this is the BEST deburring method. There is no way to match it with the wheel running at 90rpm.

RichColvin

Check out Dr. Vadim Kraichuk's book, Knife Deburring: Science behind the lasting razor edge.  Probably available at Amazon. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

nevertakeadayoff

Thank you! Order processed! (i dont use amazon)

nevertakeadayoff

Quote from: RichColvin on January 21, 2023, 10:44:21 AMCheck out Dr. Vadim Kraichuk's book, Knife Deburring: Science behind the lasting razor edge.  Probably available at Amazon.

Rich, I cannot thank you enough for this recommendation. Just finished Part 1 and I'm already amazed, can't put the book down. It must be difficult for you to hear people talk so much when they know so little.

This helped me on a personal note, too. I realized I stopped doing things in my life that yielded great achievements. I sincerely thank you!!!

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.