News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Upgrading Tormek 1200 to horizontal position for universal support

Started by saleemtaibjee, December 12, 2022, 08:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saleemtaibjee

Hi. I recently acquired a Tormek Supergrind 1200. I have separately acquired a BGM-100 upgrade kit.
I now have 2 options in order to reposition the universal support to a horizontal positionwhich allows for sharpening away from the wheel turning direction which I understand is better.
I can either use the entire BGM-100 kit, and fix the support to the side of the grinder (more hassle, requires some sort of base board or bench mounting), or I can use the XB-100 which is included within the BGM-100, and just mount that on to the top of the casing of the Grinder. It is plastic casing, but I understand if I use washers, this should be fine. I am probably going to opt for the on-grinder option for simplicity, unless others advise otherwise?
Thanks for your advice.

Dutchman

The photo shows my Front Vertical Base. I got it from 'Wootz' as a thank you for my angle setting method. Apparently he used the supports of the BGM-100, mounted perpendicular to each other.
I unscrewed the horizontal base from the grinder and replaced it with Vadim's construction on which I mounted the horizontal base again, but now vertically.

cbwx34

Quote from: saleemtaibjee on December 12, 2022, 08:44:36 AM...in order to reposition the universal support to a horizontal positionwhich allows for sharpening away from the wheel turning direction which I understand is better.

I'm not sure where "sharpening away... is better" came from?  Mounting the support (similar to Dutchman's photo) is usually done for honing.

With the parts you have, Dutchman's setup looks like the route to take.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 12, 2022, 02:49:11 PM
Quote from: saleemtaibjee on December 12, 2022, 08:44:36 AM...in order to reposition the universal support to a horizontal positionwhich allows for sharpening away from the wheel turning direction which I understand is better.

I'm not sure where "sharpening away... is better" came from?  Mounting the support (similar to Dutchman's photo) is usually done for honing.

With the parts you have, Dutchman's setup looks like the route to take.

I definitely agree with cbwx34 on wondering where the "better" came from.  It is different, for example, I've seen it said that it produces a detectable burr more quickly, but I've never seen the case made for it being better.  I think a preference for it is just that, a preference.  I've also seen it said that one should only use the Tormek SJ wheel from the front position, as in "edge-trailing", because the wheel is soft and catching is possible.  But I think that is not an absolute, rather more a situation of technique.  I've only ever used the SJ in edge-leading and have never experience the supposed/dreaded catching.

Quote from: Dutchman on December 12, 2022, 11:32:13 AMThe photo shows my Front Vertical Base. I got it from 'Wootz' as a thank you for my angle setting method. Apparently he used the supports of the BGM-100, mounted perpendicular to each other.
I unscrewed the horizontal base from the grinder and replaced it with Vadim's construction on which I mounted the horizontal base again, but now vertically.

I also agree with cbwx34, that with the BGM-100 you have the parts to replicate the setup that Dutchman showed, which is a substantial improvement.  However, I would call that a Vertical Base, not "Frontal", only because Wootz coined the term "Frontal Vertical Base" (FVB) in reference to adding a Vertical USB holder to the Front Horizontal holder to create vertically adjustable as well as horizontal adjustable settings. The setup Dutchman shows is a definite improvement, but it only replaces the horizontal for vertical.   

Rich Colvin has a good summary of the FVB on his Sharpening Handbook site and he offers it for sale. I consider the FVB as one of the "must do" enhancements because it greatly improves flexibility and options for working from the front of the machine, particularly when it comes to angle control during honing. 
Rich also provides a great summary of other jigs and modifications users have come up with in his Sharpening Handbook.  An excellent reference site and a superb launching pad for discovering these mods that you can then dig through postings on the forum to more fully appreciate their purposes and utilities.  There is quite a treasure trove of information in the historical postings for those curious enough to spend the time. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

CB and Rick,

The answer to "where grinding away is better" lies in which technique one uses to sharpen. I have been most fortunate to work with two Tormek experts. One of them sharpens knives "grinding away"; the other sharpens knives grinding into the edge (using the vertical sleeves". I consider each highly skilled. The difference is that the grinding away expert sharpens freehand. ( He is also highly skilled with jig sharpening.) He developed his chosen technique during years of farmers market sharpening where he had to sharpen many knives in a short Saturday morning. The grinding into the edge expert, while also highly proficient sharpening freehand, uses jigs almost exclusively. He follows the traditional Tormek technique. He is also not as pressed for time as the freehand expert. Knives can be sharpened with machines lacking the horizontal sleeves for "grinding away". However, adding the versatility gained from the horizontal sleeves is a genuine improvement and not very expensive.

I would add the XB-100. I also think the later FVB design which slides into the horizontal sleeves and can easily be removed is much more useful.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on December 13, 2022, 04:15:48 AMCB and Rick,

The answer to "where grinding away is better" lies in which technique one uses to sharpen. I have been most fortunate to work with two Tormek experts. One of them sharpens knives "grinding away"; the other sharpens knives grinding into the edge (using the vertical sleeves". I consider each highly skilled. The difference is that the grinding away expert sharpens freehand. ( He is also highly skilled with jig sharpening.) He developed his chosen technique during years of farmers market sharpening where he had to sharpen many knives in a short Saturday morning. The grinding into the edge expert, while also highly proficient sharpening freehand, uses jigs almost exclusively. He follows the traditional Tormek technique. He is also not as pressed for time as the freehand expert. Knives can be sharpened with machines lacking the horizontal sleeves for "grinding away". However, adding the versatility gained from the horizontal sleeves is a genuine improvement and not very expensive.

I would add the XB-100. I also think the later FVB design which slides into the horizontal sleeves and can easily be removed is much more useful.

Ken

Thanks for that insight, Ken.  I think you are saying, neither one is better, just different.  And a very nice, concise summary of the horizontal/vertical sleeve conundrum for the front.  I agree, add the XB-100 first and no-matter-what, then make it mo-betta with the FVB. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 13, 2022, 04:15:48 AMCB and Rick,

Ken

True, but the original post is specifically adding an FVB to sharpen (...better).  That is what I'm wondering about.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)