News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KJ-45...up to 10mm thick???

Started by Sharpco, November 21, 2022, 05:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Quote from: WimSpi on November 21, 2022, 01:32:00 PM
Personally, I get to a maximum of 9,2 mm. But then it does not clamp optimally. Then I have to go back to 6 mm.

Hello.
The jaws of your jig are not parallel.

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 21, 2022, 04:20:15 PM
Quote from: Sharpco on November 21, 2022, 05:24:10 AM
"The KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig centers knife blades up to 10 mm thick."
(https://tormek.com/en/products/grinding-jigs/kj-45-centering-knife-jig)

How???

The knob shown in the picture was fully tightened.

Easily clamped an object 9mm wide...

... I don't understand...   ???

Hello.

Sharpco

Quote from: RickKrung on November 21, 2022, 03:33:58 PM
So? What?  Would you have complained if Tormek had said "up to 9.2mm?  It is what it is, be happy that it does what its primary purpose is - self centering - up to 9.2mm.  If you can't be happy with that, take initiative, substitute longer screws. 

Rick

This is instruction of KJ-45.
As you can see, jaws have to contact with surface of blade. So if there is no bevel(e.g. scandi grind), jaws must be parellel.

Ken S

Quote from: 3D Anvil on November 21, 2022, 06:38:44 PM
There seems to be a niche trend lately of folder makers making RIDICULOUSLY thick knives.  Here's one that's just about 10mm.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmFbvYxOGuU

3D,
I watched part of the video you linked. These knives look more like expensive "cabinet princesses" than users to me. Please excuse my peasant tastes; I would rather have a Mora, Buck, or Swiss Army knife. :)
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Sharpco on November 22, 2022, 01:25:13 AM
Hello.

Ah.  I see what you're measuring.  You're right, stock it probably won't clamp a 10mm thick blade.  I think around 6mm or so would be the max.  Adding a longer rear screw or putting something under the stock screw (I tried a penny) will get a bit more.

But yeah, the instructions should reflect what it'll do out of the box, (or an explanation of how they came up with 10mm.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Quote from: Ken S on November 22, 2022, 02:31:33 AM
Quote from: 3D Anvil on November 21, 2022, 06:38:44 PM
There seems to be a niche trend lately of folder makers making RIDICULOUSLY thick knives.  Here's one that's just about 10mm.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmFbvYxOGuU

3D,
I watched part of the video you linked. These knives look more like expensive "cabinet princesses" than users to me. Please excuse my peasant tastes; I would rather have a Mora, Buck, or Swiss Army knife. :)
Ken

I couldn't agree more.  As a rule I prefer knives with blade stock 4mm or less, and the thinner the better.  There's no reason for any knife to be 10mm thick, unless you're using it as a pry bar, in which case you should get a pry bar.

3D Anvil

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 22, 2022, 05:19:40 AM
Quote from: Sharpco on November 22, 2022, 01:25:13 AM
Hello.

Ah.  I see what you're measuring.  You're right, stock it probably won't clamp a 10mm thick blade.  I think around 6mm or so would be the max.  Adding a longer rear screw or putting something under the stock screw (I tried a penny) will get a bit more.

But yeah, the instructions should reflect what it'll do out of the box, (or an explanation of how they came up with 10mm.)

Welp ... if you see my post from the previous page, the clamp is *very* solid on a 6.9mm blade ... if you crank down on it hard enough.  No, the jaws are probably not parallel at that width, but if the blade is locked in that doesn't bother me.

WimSpi

Quote from: RickKrung on November 21, 2022, 03:33:58 PM
So? What?  Would you have complained if Tormek had said "up to 9.2mm?  It is what it is, be happy that it does what its primary purpose is - self centering - up to 9.2mm.  If you can't be happy with that, take initiative, substitute longer screws. 

Rick

I was just responding to Sharpco's question, which does not get beyond 4.39 mm. So I myself come to something more, as stated in my topic.
No more.

WimSpi

Quote from: Sharpco on November 22, 2022, 01:23:10 AM
Quote from: WimSpi on November 21, 2022, 01:32:00 PM
Personally, I get to a maximum of 9,2 mm. But then it does not clamp optimally. Then I have to go back to 6 mm.

Hello.

You're right about that.