News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Kenjig

Started by Widu, November 19, 2022, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widu

Hello everyone .  I am new to this site , so excuse me if this question is in the wrong place.  I have just purchased a Tormek T 8  a big jump from a Lansky, so I have just started sharpening knives with the T8 and read about the Kenjig to set the support bar accurately for a 30* bevel . does  anyone know what length one would have to be for a 20* bevel . that is with a 250 sanding wheel and also for a new leather polishing wheel . May i just say what a great site the Tormek community is especially for an old technology Dinasaur such as me . I hope someone can help with my question thank you ine anticipation.  PAUL.

cbwx34

Quote from: Widu on November 19, 2022, 11:55:05 AM
Hello everyone .  I am new to this site , so excuse me if this question is in the wrong place.  I have just purchased a Tormek T 8  a big jump from a Lansky, so I have just started sharpening knives with the T8 and read about the Kenjig to set the support bar accurately for a 30* bevel . does  anyone know what length one would have to be for a 20* bevel . that is with a 250 sanding wheel and also for a new leather polishing wheel . May i just say what a great site the Tormek community is especially for an old technology Dinasaur such as me . I hope someone can help with my question thank you ine anticipation.  PAUL.

First, I think some clarification might be needed.  Do you want 20° per side or 20° total?  The Kenjig instructions are the total bevel (30° total 15°/side)... I ask because 20° total would be 10° per side... most don't sharpen that low.

My answer... use the "2in1" calculator in this calculator....  Calcapp.  It works on almost any platform, and will give you the answer you can use to setup a Kenjig for both the grinding and honing wheels.  I've attached a couple of screenshots, the first for the original Kenjig setup (30° or 15° per side), and the second for 40° or 20° per side.  It gives both the grinding and honing wheel answers.  The calculator uses the degrees per side (dps).

(If you do want 20° total, just change the Angle (dps) to 10° in the calculator.)

There are other options available, for example an Excel spreadsheet you can print out... check out Dutchman's original thread for more info.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

CB, thanks for replying. My ipad has been acting up and thwarted my efforts to reply earlier. I second CB's suggestions. I have generally used Dutchman's original tables. Dutchman is the acknowledged father of all of the forum setting apps. The various apps all have slightly different emphases. I consider CB's Calcapp the leader for simple but accurate calculation.

I designed the kenjig for simplicity. 15° per side was chosen as an almost universal setting for kitchen knives. There is nothing sacred about it. Anyone wanting to use a different setting need only calculate and make up a separate kenjig. For one time or very occasional set ups, I make up a separate jig using cardboard or heavy (4 ply) photo mat board.Your local frame shop will probably give you a scrap piece from the window cutout. This will keep you in kenjigs for quite a while.

Label your kenjigs with wheel diameter, angle, Projection, and Distance. I recommend starting with cardboard or matboard jigs. (That is what I did.) Once you standardize on one or two "workhorse" settings, I prefer to use small pieces of 12mm baltic birch plywood.

I disagree with Dutchman on only one issue. He stated that the new KJ-45 jig has made his tables obsolete. I believe his tables are still useful, if one modifies the technique only slightly. That is another post topic.

Ken

PS I originally named the jig "KS-150, knife setting tool 150mm. As it has never been a Tormek product, Tormek nicely asked me to rename it.

Widu

Hello , and thank you . for the most helpful answers to my question. I have only had the T8 a month and what an eye opener also not great with all the modern computer stuff good job the other half is.
what a great site this is so much info , and knowledgeable , helpful  members. I thank you once again PAUL.

Ken S

Paul,
Make sure to check outTormek's youtube channel, especially the first one on knife sharpening.
Ken