News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

why four facet grind?

Started by Ken S, November 13, 2022, 07:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This video by mrpete22 starts with a very well done illustration of the reason for a four facet grind. The initial illustration shows the common large chisel point bit. Mr. Pete explains the importance of using a smaller bit with a diameter of just larger than the chisel point for accurate drilling. The four facet point eliminates the chisel point and reduces the need for initially drilling a smaller hole.

Mr Pete is a retired shop teacher and a wealth of information. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/cqn2VPGYA9c

Ken

Elden

I really like his videos, they are well done.

I am going to post a link to one that I found to be excellent. Ken, it does mention another brand of sharpener and opens with a picture of it, so if you need to give this the axe...... However, that is not the point of the video and it does not push that unit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtnNN5pEjaU

It mentions a few reference books in it, some of which were available as downloads. I downloaded 3 of them in pdf format for a whopping cost of $0.00usd.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

Thank you for posting this link to the mrpete22 drill bit video. I certainly have absolutely no problem with showing the Lisle drill sharpening machine. It has a different target market than the Tormek DBS-22. I picture Lisle machines as part of a machine shop alongside Bridgeport mills, South Bend Lathes, and other industrial machinery. My guess is that very few of us have those in our shops. I do know that a number of us, including you and me, do have the DBS-22.

I have long considered the DBS-22 to be Tormek's most sophisticated jig. In skilled hands it really is a versatile marvel, capable of far more than my limited knowledge. Thirty years ago I wanted to set up a home machinist shop. While I still have the fascination, I long ago realized that the actual realization of that dream required a younger person.

Mrpete's extensive videos could stand a person learning machinist's skills very well. I certainly enjoy watching them. Armed with good knowledge and a DBS-22, a Tormek sharpener would be well equipped to handle even the needs of the most sophisticated home shop.

Ken