News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bench Height For Knife Sharpening

Started by Thy Will Be Done, October 27, 2022, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

I've seen it mentioned with the Tormek manual for the SVM-45 jig that for knife sharpening the best bench height is between 22-26".  This goes against other recommendations I've seen for 29-32".  I have tried the higher height range and it doesn't work with me at 5' 7".  29" leaves my arms a bit higher than waist high and I'm going to try around 25-26" next.  Anybody else have similar experiences here or have anything to offer?

3D Anvil

The wooden cart I use is 24.5" high and it works well for me.  I'm 5'8".

BeSharp

I'm 5'6" and my bench height is 24.5" for a T-7 and 25.75" for a T-7 set up for edge trailing with a FVB.

austijp

I'm thinking I want to put something together that allows me to work in the mid 20"s, today I'm working at 30" and it feels a little tall, I'm 5'9".  Home Depot has a wood top table that adjusts from the low 20's to the mid 30's with a simple hand crank,  I think I'll pick one up.  It would give me room for a 2nd Tormek or my 1 x 30 with a felt belt.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-W-x-24-in-D-Adjustable-Height-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-Table-in-Black-HOLT52XDB12/301809830   The wheels can come off and get replaced by feet, this gives it a few more inches.

3D Anvil

Looks good if you have the space for it. 

The little rolling cart I have is perfect for me.  It tucks between my Husky work table and another table I use for various purposes, and I can roll it out into the middle of the room when I'm using the Tormek.  It doesn't seem to be in production anymore, but I think the general category of rolling end or side tables might be a good research area if you'd be interested in something like that.

Examples:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rolling-Side-Table-and-End-Table-with-Wheels-and-Storage-Space-4-Tier-Small-Rolling-Cart-with-Magazine-Rack/428862470

https://www.oregonlive.com/hg/2014/02/three_rustic_wheeled_tables_th.html

https://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Home-Furnishings-Casters-Rustic/dp/B00O6N631M/ref=sr_1_108?crid=FD7MOXOUM4R5&keywords=rolling+end+table&qid=1683479097&s=home-garden&sprefix=rolling+end+table%2Cgarden%2C140&sr=1-108&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

austijp

The smaller tables do look like a good idea, this would give you the ability to position yourself left or right where the long table I referenced could limit mobility.  I'm thinking if I get the longer table from Home Depot I'll work off the end to give myself more room to function.

Herman Trivilino

The Tormek TS-740 Sharpening Station advertises "a work surface between 750 mm to 830 mm (29 3/4" and 32 2/3") in height".
Origin: Big Bang

austijp

Today I use the Husky 4 drawer roll away, I took the casters off and it is almost exactly 28" high but I would love to try some lower heights also, I'm 5'9" and I feel like another 1" or 2" lower would make the angle better.

Ken S

I have used several tables of various heights with my Tormeks. However, the benches I would like to build would be two very simple wooden benches. The length and width of each of the benches would match the dimensions of he Tormek rubber work mats. The benches old be different heights, allowing for optimum height for both horizontal and vertical grinding. They would be light enough to be easily transported. No built in shelves or cabinets would be incorporated in the design, with the possible exception of wooden support boards to hold one of the Tormek foam lined boxes.

These should be an easy weekend project for a homeowner in his shop.

With two rubber work mats, one could hold the Tormek. The rubber lip would catch any drip. The second Mat would hold tools to be sharpened and already sharpened.

Ken