News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KJ-45 vs SVM-45

Started by Vincent, October 07, 2022, 05:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

I have a T8 and I'm ordering jigs. Torn between the new style and old. Should I get the KJ-45 or the SVM-45?
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Sir Amwell

If you can spare the funds I'd go for one of each. The old style jig is good enough for most standard knives and gives some flexibility so you can choose a jig projection to suit you. The new one has less flexibility but the self centring is great for thinner and thicker blade stocks where wobble in the jig and uneven bevels can be an issue with the old style.

cbwx34

Quote from: Vincent on October 07, 2022, 05:34:35 PM
I have a T8 and I'm ordering jigs. Torn between the new style and old. Should I get the KJ-45 or the SVM-45?
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

New Jig...

https://youtu.be/JFHqQg5wZEg?t=350

8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

I've rarely used the old jig since I got the new one.  Main reason is that it produces more symmetrical bevels.  I also use the forward stop as a pivot with some medium-sized knives with deep bellies (doesn't work with longer knives).  And I've used the convexing feature a few times, too.

Vincent

Thanks everyone. I orders the new style for both regular and long flexible knives. Appreciate the help.

RichColvin

I prefer the SVM-45 as I can use the Han-Jig (https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html#HanJig) and a standard 129 mm projection.  The pairing of these two makes for easy resharpening of the kitchen knives.

That said, I find the KJ-45 great for some specialized uses.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

jeffs55

The only complaint I have ever had with a Tormek was the asymmetrical grind on a knife blade. It was just plain ugly to me. No, I am not a perfectionist but the thought of someone seeing that I had ground a blade unevenly would have mortified me.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Sir Amwell

Has anyone solved the problem with the Kj45 using the lower stop for wide knives of the locking stop hitting the usb leg?

cbwx34

Quote from: Sir Amwell on October 09, 2022, 01:26:00 AM
Has anyone solved the problem with the Kj45 using the lower stop for wide knives of the locking stop hitting the usb leg?

This help?   https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,5032
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)