News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Live Sharpening Class: Recurved Blades

Started by cbwx34, September 06, 2022, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Live Sharpening Class: Recurved Blades

Quote from: Tormek...Many of the previous viewers have requested us to do this specific episode. So by popular demand we will show you how to master the techniques of sharpening recurved blades on your Tormek sharpening system. We'll also touch upon different tips and tricks to sharpen other curved blades such as gut openers, paring knives or scythes.

Prepare your questions and tune in on the live tomorrow, Wednesday! 😊

When?
Wednesday, September 7th, 3.30 sharp!😉

(3.30 PM, Swedish time, CEST / 9.30 AM, US Eastern Time, ET)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw4vJSUPXmk

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Interesting video.

One thing I found interesting was Wolfgang's version of an "FVB" using 2 MB-100s...

... I've done something similar mounting a USB base onto the Toolrest...

... but liked their version too!  :)

Ken S

Good posts, CB. Thanks for posting the notice about the online class. I have been sick this week and running on fewer than eight cylinders. I somehow lost a day and watched the class this afternoon.

I was pleasantly impressed with the class. All the knives I have owned or sharpened have bellies or are straight. Recurve knives are new to me. I am always happy to learn new sharpening skills.

Like you, CB, I combined using the MB-100 and an FVB. In my case, I was reshaping a turning skew to Alan Lacer grind. It worked well and made me aware that both had more possibilities than just the standard applications. Using two MB-100s had not occurred to me. I think the flexibility of two MB-100s would be the most versatile combination.

For those who rely on one of the aps to set their FVB, I believe the aps will soon be adapted to using the two MB-100s.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 08, 2022, 12:02:28 AM
Good posts, CB. Thanks for posting the notice about the online class. I have been sick this week and running on fewer than eight cylinders. I somehow lost a day and watched the class this afternoon.

Hope you're feeling better!

Quote from: Ken S on September 08, 2022, 12:02:28 AM
For those who rely on one of the aps to set their FVB, I believe the aps will soon be adapted to using the two MB-100s.

Any app that measures to the wheel will work with this setup.  8)

Ken S

Quote from: Ken S on Today at 12:02:28 am

Any app that measures to the wheel will work with this setup.  (CB)

I agree....:)

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on September 08, 2022, 02:00:52 AM
Quote from: Ken S on Today at 12:02:28 am

Any app that measures to the wheel will work with this setup.  (CB)

I agree....:)

Third that nomination!  So glad I made this conversion to measuring directly to the wheel. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tgbto

I watched the video. I can't help but be impressed by Wolfgang's mastery. As was I when watching wootz's video on the same subject.

That being said it just reinforced my feeling that sharpening recurves with a tormek is like playing the violin with boxing gloves : it takes a real expert if you just want the end result to just be acceptable.

Granted, if a T-8 and two MB-100s are all you have to sharpen your tourne knife, the way it is demonstrated in the video is clearly the way to go. It will require practice, and the results will vary a lot, given that you concentrate the sharpening power over a tiny area of the edge (essentially doing 100% of the time what you're trying to avoid when sharpening regular blades, for fear of overgrinding and making unwanted recurves...). That and the fact that the angle varies quite a lot anyway. And also the issue of rounding the tip that is so useful for splitting soft veggies skin...

IMHO, a rod-based system with narrow/triangular/semicircular stones gives a quicker and much better result because you have more control. Or a belt setup with narrow or slack belts.

Btw, I'm curious about those of you who might have tested the "spaceship" setup : I noticed quite a bit of play when using just one MB-100, so unless I have a defective one, that will probably compound when you have two ?

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Quote from: tgbto on September 08, 2022, 09:37:13 AM
, a rod-based system with narrow/triangular/semicircular stones gives a quicker and much better result because you have more control.

I've been doing recurves on the EdgePro, takes a long time compared to a the Tormek, but at my current skill level, I feel the customer blades are safer that way.  After 20 more years I hope to have that "Wolfgang touch".

V/r
John G.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on September 08, 2022, 09:37:13 AM
I watched the video. I can't help but be impressed by Wolfgang's mastery. As was I when watching wootz's video on the same subject.

That being said it just reinforced my feeling that sharpening recurves with a tormek is like playing the violin with boxing gloves : it takes a real expert if you just want the end result to just be acceptable.

Granted, if a T-8 and two MB-100s are all you have to sharpen your tourne knife, the way it is demonstrated in the video is clearly the way to go. It will require practice, and the results will vary a lot, given that you concentrate the sharpening power over a tiny area of the edge (essentially doing 100% of the time what you're trying to avoid when sharpening regular blades, for fear of overgrinding and making unwanted recurves...). That and the fact that the angle varies quite a lot anyway. And also the issue of rounding the tip that is so useful for splitting soft veggies skin...

IMHO, a rod-based system with narrow/triangular/semicircular stones gives a quicker and much better result because you have more control. Or a belt setup with narrow or slack belts.

Btw, I'm curious about those of you who might have tested the "spaceship" setup : I noticed quite a bit of play when using just one MB-100, so unless I have a defective one, that will probably compound when you have two ?

I really don't think it's that difficult... most recurves it's just a matter of angling the knife a little so the edge of the wheel makes contact, then returning back to "flat" across the stone as you exit the recurve.  Everything else remains the same.  (I think the biggest mistake made is not rounding the edge of the wheel prior.)

I know the issue of "play" in the MB-100 came up once before (can't remember if it was you or not).  I checked mine at the time and it seems solid, (as does the setup in the video), so might be something you should investigate further?

Ken S

tgb,

The line from Star Trek comes to mind, "Set your phasers to stun". I have never sharpened a recurve knife, nor do I expect to. However, if I did, I would follow Wolfgang's guidance (and Wootz' guidance). I would also set my phaser to stun (SG-250 graded fine with light pressure and working slowly). I would use the same precautions with any new sharpening  procedure the first time.

When I purchased my T7 in 2009, I intended to use it only for sharpening my woodworking tools. I did not foresee my presently devoting much of my sharpening time to sharpening knives. Fortunately, the Tormek is a versatile machine, capable of both my present and future needs.

Ken

tgbto

Ken,

I agree this sounds like a wise course of action. In my short experience, the "fine" grading on the SG-250 doesn't last much with standard knives, using the entire width of the stone, before the stone reverts to the famed "in-between" state.

I believe that using just the shoulder of the stone, the fine grading would just last a couple strokes before the phasers set themselves back to kill ;)

Ken S

tgb,

I agree. Using such a small area of the grinding wheel graded fine is certainly not a good long term solution. Recurve knives are definitely not an easy skill. They may require a few sacrificial learning knives.

Ken

Thy Will Be Done

I've got a 13" recurve blade that I'm going to try this out on once I muster the courage, I couldn't have figured out that approach from thinking because I tried and was not what I came up with using the corners separately but rather was thinking of using them together with both contacting at the same time.