News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Blade tips with T1/T2

Started by tgbto, May 06, 2022, 10:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hello,

Has anyone out here used a T-1 or T-2 for a long time with standard chef knives ? I am wondering if the edge comes off wider at the tip overtime ?

That would weem logical as it is what happens often on a T8 if you pivot towards the tip, keeping the angle more or less constant when the blade width increases close to the edge. I am thinking of buying a T-1 for my mother, but if that interferes with the sharpening I do on the T-8, I'm not so sure...

Thanks,

Nick.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on May 06, 2022, 10:42:11 AM
Hello,

Has anyone out here used a T-1 or T-2 for a long time with standard chef knives ? I am wondering if the edge comes off wider at the tip overtime ?

That would weem logical as it is what happens often on a T8 if you pivot towards the tip, keeping the angle more or less constant when the blade width increases close to the edge. I am thinking of buying a T-1 for my mother, but if that interferes with the sharpening I do on the T-8, I'm not so sure...

Thanks,

Nick.

The T-1 shouldn't interfere with your T-8 sharpening, it should replace it.  ;)

I think you answered your own question... depends on how much taper her knives have... (both spine to edge and heel to tip).  But it should be easy enough to match whatever the T-1 does, if you need to resharpen them on the T-8.

But my question... Does your mother want to mess with sharpening?  If you're the sharpener, I'd consider just getting her a decent ceramic rod and teaching her how to use that instead.  She can maintain the sharpness for a reasonable length of time, then you can touch them up when the ceramic no longer works.  (And it should be easier, or at least it shouldn't be any harder than learning to hone on the honing wheel...).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

The idea was rather to have something on-site because I don't visit her that often, and so I'd avoid taking her knives away for months on end. But yes, you may have a point with the ceramic rod...

Thanks for your feedback,

Nick.

Ken S

Interesting topic, and one becoming more interesting with replies.

I have not yet used my T1 enough to know if the bevel width will eventually increase with sharpening. However, I have found that I have more control with the T1 than with the T8. With the T8, my hands are further from the knife blade than with the T1. I like the control of actually holding the knife blade with both hands.

We have learned to have more precise control sharpening other edges with the Tormek and jigs by controlling the time spent grinding different parts of the edge. Overgrinding (or, more correctly, not undergrinding) the center portion of the edge will produce the dreaded "green onion effect" where the center portion of the edge does not contact the cutting board. We compensate for this by spending more time grinding the high spots. We use the same preventative technique when grinding bowl gouges. We used it more frequently with chisels before the SE-77. With the T1 (or T2), pay particular attention to the tip. No doubt, you do this automatically with your T8.

As an experienced sharpener, I believe you will like the T1, perhaps even enough to carry it with you.
I believe it will be my sharpening tool of choice for my kitchen knives.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on May 06, 2022, 02:54:23 PM
The idea was rather to have something on-site because I don't visit her that often, and so I'd avoid taking her knives away for months on end. But yes, you may have a point with the ceramic rod...

Thanks for your feedback,

Nick.

Do what I had a friend of mine do that moved away... duplicate a couple of the "most used" knives, so there's always a sharp one available, while the other's being sharpened.  (Might be cheaper than a T-1).   8)   (Plus the ceramic rod of course).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 06, 2022, 10:54:43 PM
[ duplicate a couple of the "most used" knives, so there's always a sharp one available

Now that's the good idea.