News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tight

Started by tim, April 26, 2022, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim

A friend of my wife's gave her a pair of offset fiskars fabric shears. The blades are in good shape. They are very hard to open and close but they cut just fine. Backed the screw off maybe 1/10 of a turn. They wont cut anything now. I know it has too much of a gap. ANy ideas how these can be made to work?

cbwx34

Quote from: tim on April 26, 2022, 05:27:00 PM
A friend of my wife's gave her a pair of offset fiskars fabric shears. The blades are in good shape. They are very hard to open and close but they cut just fine. Backed the screw off maybe 1/10 of a turn. They wont cut anything now. I know it has too much of a gap. ANy ideas how these can be made to work?

Lube?  They make lubricant speicifically for scissors, for example...

https://wolffindustries.com/products/scissors-lubricant

... so my guess is use some kind of lubricant to address this?  (Not saying this specific brand, just some type).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BeSharp

For scissors, when both edges are allowed to close from gravity only, the top edge should stop from friction about halfway on the lower edge. Adjust the screw to suit.

That Wolff Industries lube works well, doesn't leave anything that could stain fabric. Plus it removes any remaining Sharpie ink. 

tim

Lube was the first thing I tried. Will take apart, clean, and relube.
Thanks for the replies.

cbwx34

Only other thought I had is that something is bent.

tim

Yep, spotted that. Will attempt to straighten. Almost looks like something heavy was sat on them. I`m very new to scissors, big learning curve. Thanks

tim

Happy to report after straightening a little and sharpening, success. My wife who knows her way around fabric and sewing thinks her friend will be happy. Thanks guys for the ideas to try.

cbwx34

Quote from: tim on April 29, 2022, 04:01:55 AM
Happy to report after straightening a little and sharpening, success. My wife who knows her way around fabric and sewing thinks her friend will be happy. Thanks guys for the ideas to try.

How did you straighten them?

tim

Don't laugh but my bench is an old door. Put each blade in the lock bolt hole, added very lite pressure. Not a go to process but it worked.

cbwx34

Quote from: tim on April 30, 2022, 03:45:05 PM
Don't laugh but my bench is an old door. Put each blade in the lock bolt hole, added very lite pressure. Not a go to process but it worked.

As long as it worked!   :)