News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T2 and ultra-concave blade

Started by gwelsby, April 17, 2022, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwelsby

Hi, all.
I have a VERY concave carpet/lino knife which I have been trying, without much success, to sharpen on the rounded wheel of my T7. It appears to me that with the T2 I could simply draw the blade through keeping it perpendicular to the wheel at the point of contact.  Is this correct?
TIA,
Gerald.

cbwx34

Quote from: gwelsby on April 17, 2022, 01:31:57 PM
Hi, all.
I have a VERY concave carpet/lino knife which I have been trying, without much success, to sharpen on the rounded wheel of my T7. It appears to me that with the T2 I could simply draw the blade through keeping it perpendicular to the wheel at the point of contact.  Is this correct?
TIA,
Gerald.

Probably not... the guide on the T2 just draws the blade across the flat of the wheel.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I agree with CB. If I was in your situation, I would make a trip to the local hardware store for approximately three feet (one meter) of plastic pipe, conduit or wooden dowel. The exact length is not critical, nor is the diameter, around 1/2" or 12mm. Get some wet or dry sandpaper, either adhesive or regular. Either will work. With the regular w/d sandpaper, you will need some tape to secure it to the dowel or plastic pipe. Cut in three or four lengths to make "files". Sharpening your knife will go quickly.

Ken

ps Life is easier if you save these files and retouch your knife when it just starts to get dull.

gwelsby

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 17, 2022, 03:29:44 PM
Quote from: gwelsby on April 17, 2022, 01:31:57 PM
Hi, all.
TIA,
Gerald.

Probably not... the guide on the T2 just draws the blade across the flat of the wheel.

Thanks, CB. I've ordered one anyway so I'll report back when it comes 😀.

gwelsby

Quote from: Ken S on April 17, 2022, 11:49:01 PM
I agree with CB. If I was in your situation, I would make a trip to the local hardware store for approximately three feet (one meter) of plastic pipe, conduit or wooden dowel. The exact length is not critical, nor is the diameter, around 1/2" or 12mm. Get some wet or dry sandpaper, either adhesive or regular. Either will work. With the regular w/d sandpaper, you will need some tape to secure it to the dowel or plastic pipe. Cut in three or four lengths to make "files". Sharpening your knife will go quickly.

Ken

ps Life is easier if you save these files and retouch your knife when it just starts to get dull.

Thank you Ken. That would let me sharpen at its current angle. If I wanted to choose the exact angle myself?

Gerald.

Ken S

Gerald,

I would use the "sanding sticks" with the marker, favoring either the edge or the back of the bevel. As long as the knife is sharp, how"exact" does the angle need to be to cut carpet or linoleum?

Ken