News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Ceramic Knives on a Tormek?

Started by lpnicholas, April 14, 2022, 04:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lpnicholas

I'm close to pulling the trigger for purchasing a T-8 Tormek with diamond wheels for sharpening ceramic knives. I've searched this forum for this topic here with no luck. It takes diamond to sharpen ceramic knives, hence thinking of the Tormek with there diamond wheels. Has anyone had any success with T-8 diamond wheels and ceramic knives? Of the three diamond wheels, which would you recommend?

Ken S

Larry,
Wolfgang and Sébastien discuss sharpening ceramic knives starting at 1:08 in the online advanced knife sharpening class.Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/PrRwBTil1l8

Ken

cbwx34

My experience matches what Wolfgang states... the finer the better.

(I also decided ceramics aren't worth the effort).   :o
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BeSharp

I sharpen ceramic knives, using CBN wheels. Diamond will work too, of course.

Most are Kyocera ceramics, because replacemnt cost is quite high. Usually chipped, so factor for that. I charged $30 to remove the chips and sharpen this Kyocera.

lpnicholas

Thanks for the feed back. I watched parts of the video including the ceramic part. Will be watching the entire video once I get the T8. I'm thinking both the fine and very fine diamond will be my choices for ceramic sharpening. As for ceramic vs iron, I believe we will be seeing other elements, compounds, and mixtures used in knives as time goes on. Similar to the iron skill now days being coated, internal combustion engine (ice) to electric, and now ceramic is slowly developing a spot in the market. I would like to be able to sharpen and repair everything that can be. My wife loves her ceramic knives and yet I can't sharpen them. Times past, I sold Kyocera ceramic knives at my sharpening stand until I realized I wouldn't see these customers, anytime in the near future,  again. They seem to hold there edge for a long time. Yes, like the dinner plates in my cup board the ceramic knives are breakable. Iron or stainless steel can be damaged too. I'd like to be able to restore both along with future blades.