News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Tormek Online Class on the KJ-45/140

Started by Ken S, April 04, 2022, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

CB, will Tormek discontinue the SVM jigs? I have no idea; however, I believe that decision will depend a lot less on projections than on the remaining useful life of the SVM tooling. If the tooling is nearing the end of useful life, I can't imagine any company investing in new tooling when new jigs are already in production.

tgbto, I remember ;D a number of posts complaining when Tormek switched from locking screws to rubber gaskets on the SVM jigs. I also remember stripped threads on the locking screws. I learned long after the fact that pre2002 SVM jigs had longer threaded shafts which provided considerably more adjustment range. Maybe the fixed projection of the KJ jigs won't be so bad after all.

I sent Sébastien an email describing the questions we had with the new jigs, asking if they could be incorporated into the online class. He replied that some of our questions seemed advanced, and that he did not want to lose the beginning users. He proposed having two classes (like with knives). That seems a wise choice to me. It gave us all a chance to see the jigs with a good amount of information. Later, when many of us have had the opportunity to actually use the jigs, they will return with a more advanced class. I think that is a good plan.

On the bright side, I may be able to list a couple of my SVM jigs for sale as "rare" and for a high price!   ;D

Ken

ps I see two new replies have come in while I was typing......

sveno

Quote from: BeSharp on April 07, 2022, 05:29:24 PM
I'm interested in how much shorter the projection distance is at the lower stop, as I do cleavers quite often (the other day one cleaver's shortest possible projection distance with the SVM-45 was 190mm).
The distance between the stops is about 26 mm.

RickKrung

It will be very interesting to see what the convex surface is like using the dual-collar approach (which can be done now with the SVM jigs by adding a Pin Pivot Collar).  It seems it will take some careful guiding to get a uniform, smooth curvature from that up and down motion, particularly along the curved tip area.  I think it could result in super small, multiple bevels, not uniformly distributed.  Too busy with other stuff to find out. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on April 07, 2022, 05:48:01 PM
CB, will Tormek discontinue the SVM jigs? I have no idea; however, I believe that decision will depend a lot less on projections than on the remaining useful life of the SVM tooling. If the tooling is nearing the end of useful life, I can't imagine any company investing in new tooling when new jigs are already in production.

I'm more convinced after watching the video.   :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

CB, will Tormek discontinue the SVM jigs? I have no idea;

If I'm not mistaken, I think they already refer to them as "the old jigs"...

Maybe the fixed projection of the KJ jigs won't be so bad after all.

It's probably not that bad given the additional stop, but it will require resetting USB between each knife, whereas I did 6 knives last weekend (SG, FVB honing) without a single reset.

Ken S

It's probably not that bad given the additional stop, but it will require resetting USB between each knife, whereas I did 6 knives last weekend (SG, FVB honing) without a single reset.
[/quote]

tgbto,

I see your point. However, does the USB really require resetting with each knife?
Using your example of six knives, do all six have different widths?

The KJ jigs both have two alignment pins 15 mm from the opening. That limits the maximum depth to 15mm.  Tormek states that the minimum insertion to 2mm. That provides a maximum of 13mm "wiggle room" of projection length. Tormek also specifies a minimum knife width of 10mm. I think using a nine mm range from four mm to thirteen mm would provide a margin of safety.

Of the group of six knives, could they be grouped into two or three similar widths? That would mean only two or three USB adjustments. With the kenjig, I standardized on 139mm Projection and 80mm Distance for 15° per side. (paring knives required using the SVM-00. I used three preset jigs.)

Both KJ jigs have a jig only Projection of 150mm to the upper stop.

I suspect the KJ jigs will require a few more Distance (USB) adjustments. Gradual tweaking should fine tune the process. High volume sharpeners may end up using both new and "old" jigs. I like the option of having a self centering jig in my quiver.

Ken

Perra

Works well in my opinion after a week of use. I use 11.7mm as a new measure for jig diameter and it works well. With an ordinary kitchen knife, you are close to 140mm in projection distance. I like it and will use it a lot.
I enclose some measurements for those of you who are curious ..

tgbto

Thanks for the information and the pics. The change in diameter that you mention means we can probably use it safely along with the older jigs without too much of an error. What was the height of the knife blade with which you had a 140mm projection distance ?

Perra

That knife was about 30mm high
2mm is the least you need to be able to clamp, according to Tormek, and it is possible to slide the knife up to 13.5mm in the jig. So you can fasten knives with between 24.5 to 36mm high blades and  have the opportunity to set the projection distance to 139mm. Otherwise you have to specify the projection distance you get in a program.

tgbto

Nice. My usual projection distance is 145 to 150mm because of rather high blades. So it should do. Thanks for the information, the niew jigs don't seem available in France yet, but I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

Nick.