News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A small useful 3D printed tool

Started by Perra, January 26, 2022, 09:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perra

Hello sharpening friends!
I have read and studied several of your tips on how to solve different problems. Very interesting and fun to see how the rest of you found clever solutions. Thank you.
Now I thought I would contribute with a small tool that I printed with the help of a 3D printer and that I have greatly benefited from when setting up my Tormek T8
It can be used to measure the diameter of the grinding wheel, height of USB from both the machine and the grinding wheel. I also use it to measure or set the length of the grinding jig.
What I'm most fond of is setting the angle using it, the ruler is 1mm thick and the distance underneath is 6mm so it's consistent with the jig's center line broadly. It is much easier to set the right degrees because you don't use the jig with a knife on it.
I do not attach a drawing or any measure because the only measure that is important is 6mm according to figure1. And that surface A and B are parallel with each other.
I think the pictures describe enough if someone is thinking of developing their own. I hope it can be a joy for any of you!
Regards

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

JustADudeInSweden

Looks cool! Which printer are you using and are you uploading your files to a place like thingyverse?
Getting Jiggy With It

tgbto

Perra

No I not upload any file for this tool. i do belive that the picture explain how to make one if you are interested. And the most importent value is 6mm that I also markt on the picture. You can choose the dimensions as you like on the rest of the tool to fit any ruler, etc.

Perra

Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 27, 2022, 03:25:34 PM
Looks cool! Which printer are you using and are you uploading your files to a place like thingyverse?

Here is the file for 3d -print.

rotax

Very interesting and very ingenious. Great job !
Cheers.

John_B

I think I will take this to our library.s 3D printer and give it a go.

Thanks
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Perra

Quote from: john.jcb on February 19, 2022, 09:21:50 PM

Thanks

Glad you appreciate it and want to try making your own. I use it all the time.

You can also use it the together with TormekCalc2 and an angle cube. Just turn it upside down but be sure that the ruler is long enough to rest on the grinding wheel. Pic16

I have also worked with a way to set the grinding angle with an angle cube and this tool, and have created my own excel file for it. If there is anyone who is interested, just let me know and I can upload it on the forum.

It is not easy to use an angle cube because the value only changes by 0.6 degrees on the angle cube for each full degree you change the grinding angle. Therefore, you need a very precise angle cube. But it can be fun to try.

Perra

On request, I enclose here an angle program in excel that can be used together with this tool to set the grinding angle of your Tormek. You can also try using an angle cube with it if you want.
Feel free to leave a comment about what you think or if you see something that is wrong.
Calculations and inputs in the program are most the same as in other programs but I have added calculations for an angle cube.
My ambition has been to make a slightly easier program to use than the fantastic Tormekcalc2 that can do so much more.

cbwx34

Quote from: Perra on March 09, 2022, 10:29:13 PM
On request, I enclose here an angle program in excel that can be used together with this tool to set the grinding angle of your Tormek. You can also try using an angle cube with it if you want.
Feel free to leave a comment about what you think or if you see something that is wrong.
Calculations and inputs in the program are most the same as in other programs but I have added calculations for an angle cube.
My ambition has been to make a slightly easier program to use than the fantastic Tormekcalc2 that can do so much more.

Very nice.

I like the fact you can use an angle cube directly on the SVM-45.  I did one quick test (set the angle by measuring to the wheel, then checked with the angle cube)... was within .1 deg.   8)

Nice job!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Tukkis

Quote from: Perra on February 22, 2022, 06:51:38 PM
Quote from: john.jcb on February 19, 2022, 09:21:50 PM

Thanks

Glad you appreciate it and want to try making your own. I use it all the time.

You can also use it the together with TormekCalc2 and an angle cube. Just turn it upside down but be sure that the ruler is long enough to rest on the grinding wheel. Pic16

I have also worked with a way to set the grinding angle with an angle cube and this tool, and have created my own excel file for it. If there is anyone who is interested, just let me know and I can upload it on the forum.

It is not easy to use an angle cube because the value only changes by 0.6 degrees on the angle cube for each full degree you change the grinding angle. Therefore, you need a very precise angle cube. But it can be fun to try.

Hello Perra i´m interested in this one! How is this system working for you?

Perra

Hello Tukkis I use this little tool all the time and together with the excel file it becomes very easy to set the correct degrees on the machine. If you have the opportunity, I suggest you print the T-cube on a 3D printer and try it. You can find the 3D file above. I have an updated version of the excel file if you want! Just let me know! There are many different ways to set the angle and this is the way I prefer to use. What I have tried and which is not so common is to set the angle with a digital angle cube. But you can use the tool in several different ways, even together with other good calculators like Open AngleTool or Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator.

Ken S

Perra,

Well done!
Your design strikes me as a much improved version of the "substitute target" angle measuring tool I posted several years ago. (see the link): 

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,2639.0.html

I particularly like your photo showing its use with the Anglemaster. The Anglemaster works very well with broad, flat surfaces like chisels and planes; however, it can be more challenging with small areas like knife bevels.

I will have my grandson fire up our 3D printer!

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Perra

Attached is a small update to Angle Calculator Lite.