News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Are the SVH-320 instructions correct?

Started by Rimu, February 07, 2022, 04:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimu

I have used the SVH-320 twice and while the results have been acceptable to me, I can't help thinking that the instructions don't fit the hardware...

The manual says to use the knob in the back to set the angle and then to use the micro adjust wheels to lower the platform to create a gap between it and slide carriage..

To me it makes more sense to set the angle with the wheels and then back off the the back knob to create the gap.

The back knob pushes in the centre of the platforms and thereby moves it level.

When you turn the wheels, you are always guessing how much to move them to keep the whole thing level.

It seems better to me to introduce the gap via a single knob rather than trying to keep the two micro adjusts equal.

Or am I thinking about this wrong?

cbwx34

Never used one, but they have a video if that helps...

https://youtu.be/_9izVW7g6uo?t=1158

... (starts around 19:20).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: Rimu on February 07, 2022, 04:37:58 AM
I have used the SVH-320 twice and while the results have been acceptable to me, I can't help thinking that the instructions don't fit the hardware...

The manual says to use the knob in the back to set the angle and then to use the micro adjust wheels to lower the platform to create a gap between it and slide carriage..

To me it makes more sense to set the angle with the wheels and then back off the the back knob to create the gap.

The back knob pushes in the centre of the platforms and thereby moves it level.

When you turn the wheels, you are always guessing how much to move them to keep the whole thing level.

It seems better to me to introduce the gap via a single knob rather than trying to keep the two micro adjusts equal.

Or am I thinking about this wrong?

I have this jig, but I've not used it either.  Looking at the instructions, it seems clear enough to me.  Height is set using the Micro-Adjust screws and the angle is set by the single knob on the back.  These things occur first.  The gap only comes into play when lowering the jig slightly to begin grinding.  If you use this knob to create the gap you will be changing the angle and the instructions are pretty clear that the angle must match the existing angle on the blades. 

I think you should work with it for a while according to the instructions before modifying the procedure. 

I bought the jig to sharpen the blades on my DeWalt planer, only to find out they are not sharpenable - only replaceable. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.