News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sissors on diamond wheel

Started by Sharpco, February 24, 2021, 10:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I heard that setting high angle on the CBN wheel will cause problem with CBN grit.

How about diamond wheel? Can I sharpen scissors on it?

Ken S

Good question, Sharpco.
I wasn't sure about the answer, so I emailed Stig. Here is his reply:

Hi Ken,
The vibrations that can occur between a wheel and tool when sharpening on a high angle is what can damage any type of wheel with CBN or diamond. So it doesn't matter if it's CBN or Diamond. A careful user will most likely have no issues on either type of wheels but there is a risk, like on the regular stones, that something might happen if the user is not concentrated on the task.
Stig

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on February 24, 2021, 08:01:27 PM
Good question, Sharpco.
I wasn't sure about the answer, so I emailed Stig. Here is his reply:

Hi Ken,
The vibrations that can occur between a wheel and tool when sharpening on a high angle is what can damage any type of wheel with CBN or diamond. So it doesn't matter if it's CBN or Diamond. A careful user will most likely have no issues on either type of wheels but there is a risk, like on the regular stones, that something might happen if the user is not concentrated on the task.
Stig

Ken

Thank you Ken :)

Ken S

Sharpco, you're very welcome.

With all the hype about diamond and CBN wheels, it is easy to forget that the "Original" wheels may actuallybe better at some things. I think that for those planning to replace their SG-250 with a different wheel, it is wise to make the replacement with some usable abrasive on the SG for circumstances like scissors.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on February 25, 2021, 12:49:42 PM
Sharpco, you're very welcome.

With all the hype about diamond and CBN wheels, it is easy to forget that the "Original" wheels may actuallybe better at some things. I think that for those planning to replace their SG-250 with a different wheel, it is wise to make the replacement with some usable abrasive on the SG for circumstances like scissors.

Ken

I agree. I have a Twice as Sharp scissors sharpener, but I still need SG-250.

Ken S

Quick reply, Sharpco. I didn't realize pixels could travel that fast!    :)

Ken

Ekrem

Hi.
Ive a t8 sharpening machine. Im planning on installing it in my van and i need to know what type of battery and inverter i need, but to do that i need the start up current of this machine.

Ive tried looking and tried testing myself but i havent had any luck

tgbto

Quote from: Ekrem on March 03, 2023, 08:35:30 AMHi.
Ive a t8 sharpening machine. Im planning on installing it in my van and i need to know what type of battery and inverter i need, but to do that i need the start up current of this machine.

Ive tried looking and tried testing myself but i havent had any luck

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You might want to search for "inverter" on the main forum page, and you will be referred to several topics such as this one. You will get to see what several members use as their regular "untethered" setup.

That will probably be more efficient than posting on a scissors over CBN/Diamonb topic. Good luck !

MikeB3292

Quote from: Ken S on February 25, 2021, 12:49:42 PMSharpco, you're very welcome.

Ken

Wondering if the arrival of the MB-102 changes the mindset on doing scissors with a diamond wheel at all?  If sharpening edge trailing does this make this a 'safer' operation for the diamond wheel?  Or is it all about the steep angle that has potential for disaster?

Thanks

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: MikeB3292 on January 11, 2024, 11:43:00 PMWondering if the arrival of the MB-102 changes the mindset on doing scissors with a diamond wheel at all?  If sharpening edge trailing does this make this a 'safer' operation for the diamond wheel?  Or is it all about the steep angle that has potential for disaster?

Would still not sharpen scissors using the diamond or CBN. It is the angle and the danger of chatter. So easy to slip and gouge the edge. The exception to high angle sharpening would be the drill sharpening jig where the drill is held pretty steady but even then you need to be careful.

MikeB3292

Quote from: JohnHancock on January 12, 2024, 12:20:59 AM
Quote from: MikeB3292 on January 11, 2024, 11:43:00 PMWondering if the arrival of the MB-102 changes the mindset on doing scissors with a diamond wheel at all?  If sharpening edge trailing does this make this a 'safer' operation for the diamond wheel?  Or is it all about the steep angle that has potential for disaster?

Would still not sharpen scissors using the diamond or CBN. It is the angle and the danger of chatter. So easy to slip and gouge the edge. The exception to high angle sharpening would be the drill sharpening jig where the drill is held pretty steady but even then you need to be careful.

Appreciate the quick reply.  I'm new to Tormek and maybe stepping into the deep end of the pool by starting out with the black edition.  Found a retailer that had a number of them and priced the same as the original T8 so I couldn't really pass that up.

So what, in your opinion, would be too steep of an angle for diamond/CBN?  Just looking for some type of ballpark reference point so I hopefully don't trash an expensive wheel.

Thanks again!

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: MikeB3292 on January 12, 2024, 03:06:09 AMSo what, in your opinion, would be too steep of an angle for diamond/CBN

It is not only the angle you need to consider but how likely it is to slip. The face that the scissors are close to 90 deg, often quite thin and are held against a flat surface making it prone to slipping make them super tricky on coated wheels.  Wood turning scrapers are at a similar angle but they are thicker and much less prone to slipping makes them a safer proposition. It is really a combination of factors. I think that the jig used for scissors is partly to blame.

RichColvin

I sharpen scissors on my Tormek using the SVX-150 jig on the DF-250 diamond grinding wheel.  My wife has no complaints except when I take too long to get her scissors sharpened. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Mike, you asked what would be too steep of an angle for a Diamond or CBN wheel.

I sent your question to the sharpest person I know, Mats in support. mats replied:

"It is not the angle that is the problem.  You can go to 90 degrees if you want.
The problem is vibrations. It is vibrations that damage the CBN and Diamond wheels."

Ken