News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The "Ultimate All-In-One Angle Tool"...

Started by cbwx34, January 13, 2020, 05:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louiesdad

Ken S

GeoBoy

wallydouglas

Does anyone know about the calculator and app bring shut down
I have contributed to keeping it up and running with a monthly payment
The all in one tool is pretty useless without the app calculator... just saying

Louiesdad

Quote from: wallydouglas on December 24, 2020, 12:02:10 AM
you can use it with app from AU also
good little measuring tool CHEAP

cbwx34

Quote from: wallydouglas on December 24, 2020, 12:02:10 AM

When I found and started the Calcapp calculator, Calcapp was in "beta" and could be run for free.  When Calcapp came out of beta, and started charging, the calculator didn't see a lot of use, and Calcapp allowed me to continue the calculator under a free tier.

Over time though, it has grown to the point where it sees use beyond their first paid level.  (Plus, quite frankly, I think they deserve something for their continued effort, along with some other reasons).

At any rate, I thought starting a Patreon, based on the number of users, would easily fund a paid tier.  At this point, it's "on the edge". 

(If someone has a better idea, send me a PM).

Quote from: Louiesdad on December 24, 2020, 02:53:55 AM
you can use it with app from AU also
good little measuring tool CHEAP

Neither the "app from AU" or the one from Germany will work with the Angle tool.  The Angle Tool measures directly to the wheel, and neither of those calculators provide that measurement.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I feel I must speak up for two useful products, the all in one angle tool and CB's Calcapp.

Brian's Ultimate All In One Angle Tool is certainly not useless, with or without apps. Brian sent me a prototype. I was impressed. It combined the simplicity and accuracy of the kenjig with adjustability and a way to measure the diameter of the grinding wheel. It is quite capable of very adequate accuracy for our sharpening work. It can be initially set up with an app. a simple substitute target (discussed previously on the forum), or trial and error.

My work with automating bevel angle set up began with chisels, the Anglemaster, and the Tormek TTS-100 setting tool originally designed for turning tools. Ton Nillesen (Dutchman) provided a hyperleap with his angle setting booklet, which he posted on the forum in 2013 and has become the inspiration for all of the present apps.
CB's Calcapp is based on Dutchman's pioneering work. Of all the present apps, Calcapp, in my opinion, is the easiest and most user friendly to use. This is just my opinion, not a criticism of the other apps. I have several of them loaded on either my ipad or laptop. While my first instinct is to use Dutchman's original tables, I find myself using Calcapp increasingly more often. Calcapp has received the ultimate compliment; Dutchman posted that he has loaded it onto his computer and uses it.

We are now faced with the possibility of losing Calcapp without Patreon support. I certainly appreciate that although we have all benefitted from programs like Calcapp being without cost to us, that does not mean that someone else is not paying the costs in time, fees and money. My preference would be to pay a one time fee or donation; however, we are living in a Patreon world. Please join me in supporting Calcapp.

Ken

cbwx34

I posted this in the Tormek Facebook group in reference to the Calcapp Calculator... here's a copy:

Quote from:  From FacebookThe Calcapp Calculator

I am the creator of the Calcapp Calculator, found here...

https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/

... and I have a request.  Basically, I'd like to know if it's worth keeping it going.

First, a little background.  The calculator comes from the work done by Tormek Forum member "Dutchman", and is used to set the angle for sharpening  and honing knives on the Tormek (or any similar machine).  (You can see how it's used in the calculator's instructions).

As its use progressed, I looked for an easy way to run the calculator on my phone, and ran across the Calcapp platform.  After a bit of work, I made a calculator that I thought was simple to use, and works on just about any platform (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.)  On a phone, you can even set it up to run as an app, it requires minimal input, and is pretty straightforward.

Initially, Calcapp generously agreed to let me run the app for free.  Use was small, but over time it grew to over a thousand users a month.  So, I contacted Calcapp, and had it moved to a paid platform, mainly because I think they deserve payment for their effort, and the use exceeded their lowest paid level.

So, at this time, I also started a Patreon account, to fund the calculator.  While initial response was "adequate" to at least keep the calculator running, (because, in a nutshell, I was going to shut it down if it wasn't), I was surprised at the beginning of this month to see a decrease of about 20% of the pledges, (this after only a couple of months).

So, my request is obvious.  If you use and benefit from this app, let me know by supporting it thru the Patreon....

https://www.patreon.com/KnifeSharpeningCalculator

I'm not looking to make money off of this.  My goal is to get the app funded at Calcapp's "Business" level, have a bit of cushion in the account, then occassionaly "pause" collecting the monthly pledge.  Frankly, I don't like "subscription" services, but this is the only way (or more accurately, the least expensive way for users) that I could make it work... and I think my setup is fair.  (Moving to the Business level also will allow me to do a bit more with it that I can't do at the "Starter" level). I also don't like that so few patrons are carrying this... the more patrons, the less everyone will pay, which I also think is fair.

Finally, I don't feel the need or desire to return and "beg" for money on this... so basically my plan is this.  I have enough now to pay Calcapp for another couple of months.  If there isn't any further interest than what I have now, I'll see it as a sign that it's really not being used, and will move on.  So, it's in your court!

Thanks for your time!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Joe M

Anyone know if this tool is still available

RickKrung

Quote from: Joe M on December 04, 2022, 07:26:15 PMAnyone know if this tool is still available

Not showing on the web site at the moment.

I have two that I'd be willing to part with.  One was broken when it arrived and it was replaced.  I do not use either and would like to be rid of them as they just take up space.  The broken one has been repaired with superglue and is fully functional. 

PM if interested. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tgbto

I can also send mine to anyonoe who'd want one (I live in France). This is much less precise than my calipers, you have to fiddle with the screws, etc.