News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The missing shape control

Started by Ken S, November 15, 2020, 07:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

The online class hinted at a shape control adjustment I had not heard of before. (around 37:00) My original turning tools are a 1930s vintage Sears Craftsman set. These carbon steel tools are long out of fashion in this hss era. Hss tools like them are still sold new as "Continental Style" made with hss. Perhaps they are more popular in Europe. They have a different fingernail shape than the now "standard" shape bowl and spindle gouges.

The Tormek TTS-100 profiles seem geared to these standard tools. While I understand the marketing value of simplicity, I don't think most users are aware of other possibilities. Varying the amount of swing can change the fingernail shape of a gouge. The Tormek method essentially promotes only a 180ยบ swing.  While this is reliable with standard gouge shapes, it leaves out shaping possibilities.

I believe Tormek's Touch N Turn plan provides a simple, logical system for most users. I also believe that for some of us it is worth exploring deeper.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I inherited a number of old, high carbon steel tools from my grandfather via an uncle.  These are very useful for a number of activities on the lathe.  So don't write them off just yet ...

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

Absolutely no write off. My grandfather's workshop was a magic part of growing up. I have fond memories of using his lathe, which is now part of my shop. The newer hss tools now do the heavy lifting. I want to keep Grandpop's tools sharp and readyfor duty.

Ken

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on November 16, 2020, 03:37:19 AM
Rich,

Absolutely no write off. My grandfather's workshop was a magic part of growing up. I have fond memories of using his lathe, which is now part of my shop. The newer hss tools now do the heavy lifting. I want to keep Grandpop's tools sharp and readyfor duty.

Ken

My grandfather was a cabinet maker and his workshop was a glorious place. They moved to our farm at retirement and we built him a shop converting a barn. One of my saddest moments was to find returning from college that he had sold every woodworking tool and machine and all the hunting and fishing gear. He told me he sold everything because he thought I would not return from college.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

I found this Dictum video with Nick Agar informative. When Nick was grinding the secondary clearance on his spindle gouge, he used reduced swing. He also demonstrated using a wood block instead of the TTS-100 holes for an unusual profile.

Ken

John,

I did not mean to overlook your reply. I was fortunate enough to have inherited around half of my grandfather's tools. On a visit to my uncle, he showed me the other half. I enjoyed seeing them and am grateful for what I did inherit.

Ken S

Tormek has published hints of using the amount of arc. Here is an example:

Shape and length of the wings
The three settings do not automatically give you the shape you have selected. Your hands and eyes decide the final shape within the limits of the three settings. You can acquire different lengths on the wings by altering the width of your swing from side to side. A com- mon problem is that the tip can be too pronounced. This is caused by grinding too much on the wings. The cure is to grind more on the tip until you achieve the right shape."
(BGM instructions, p22)

Here is an example done by a longstanding Tormek dealer:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/tormek.pdf

Ken

Ken S

This video shows the limited arc control being used with shallow profile carving gouges.

https://youtu.be/v7V4bjePKkM

This Alan Holtham video shows the SVD-186 being used to sharpen a continental style gouge, using limited arc. It is also an excellent presentation of the improvements of the SVD-186.

Ken