News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New online class on planerblades and TR-50

Started by Ken S, October 27, 2020, 02:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Live Sharpening Class - Planer blades & TT-50
This week we will guide you on how to sharpen HSS planer blades with SVH-320 and show you how to use the TT-50 Truing Tool to make your stone flat again. Like always, we will answer all your questions on this topic during the stream. Stay tuned!

The entire class will be published on our YouTube channel afterwards.

This is a much needed class on both topics.

Ken

Ken S

I watched the online class today. The demonstration reinforced my belief that the planer jig is capable of good work in experienced hands. It seems well suited to a sharpener who does a lot of specialized planer blade sharpening or who is blessed with a generous amount of natural talent.

It was not mentioned in the demonstration; however, the jig can also handle jointer blades and miter trimmer blades such as the Lion Trimmer. Framing stores sometimes don't keep their Lion Trimmer blades (there are two) sharp. The giveaway is ragged frame miters. With the planer jig, these are easily sharpened and a good potential source of reoccurring business for an enterprising sharpener.

With either the planer jig or the TT-50, there is no learning substitute for hands on practice.

Ken

John_B

The TT-50 Truing Tool is very satisfying to use.

I appreciated the tip about going faster across the surface to get a coarser stone. I try and true my stone on a sort of regular basis. Earlier this week I used it and it took the smallest amount to true and refresh it. Keeping the stone round results in very little work each time you true up the stone.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

I think the tips on truing the SJ wheel, in particular the one... don't let the tip of the TT-50 run off the edge on either side, is worth noting, (as well as the general tip that the SJ wheel rarely needs truing).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I agree with the positive comments about the demonstration of the TT-50. It was well done; although, I might add that it mirrored the comments on the forum over the years. I would like to have seen a discussion about metal staining on the SJ (also covered on the forum).

I do think the Tormek you tube channel is a very effective way to reach a large audience and hope the classes will continue. There is much ground to cover.

Ken

John_B

Having all of the past classes on YouTube is very convenient. I appreciate the work that goes into them and how the presentations have improved as we go along.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John, I completely agree. Tormek has evolved and innovated since Torgny wrote the handbook many years ago. However, for the most part, these innovations (meaning innovations in technique) have mostly remained in house.
These video classes are finally providing a cost effective and efficient way to share them with the Tormek community.
They are long anticipated and most welcome. I hope they continue; Tormek still has much sharpening wisdom to share.

Ken