News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Polishing angle calc

Started by Gilles, May 15, 2020, 06:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on June 01, 2020, 09:27:15 PM
CB, you are talking about the sheet Polishing Angle, but I am talking about the sheet Thick Tapered Knife Edge.

Yup... wasn't paying attention.   :-X

Thanks! ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Quote from: Gilles on June 02, 2020, 11:22:50 AM
Hi Jan,
This is exactly the conclusion that I have done from this study and you explain it very well: "The consequences are important, both, the real grinding angle and the real honing angle are biased in the same way. This allows successful deburring despite the fact that the bevel angles are biased. "

It is also interesting to notice the effect of thickness and the effect of tapered blade on the bevel angle asymmetry (grinding angle and bevel height).

Tapered blade angle have often more impact than the blade thickness itself. The thicker the blade is, the higher the tapered blade angle can be and the higher the asymmetry can be.

Gilles   

Gilles, thanks for your assurance, I am glad to see that we interpret the results in the same way!

As far as I know you are the first who geometrically described the impact of blade thickness and tapper on the bevel angle asymmetry. Those are things that affect everyday life of every Tormeker.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable Excel script with us! Highly appreciated!  :)

Jan

Gilles

There are so many interesting things on this Forum, so many kind people. This is my small contribution. Regards
knowledge is a nice journey made of practice, study & sharing

chiamsi

Quote from: john.jcb on May 25, 2020, 01:17:19 PM
Ken, I think once you start sharpening your kitchen knives to 12° and honing around 13.5° you may change your mind on what is sharp enough. I too made this change on kost of my my personal knives some time ago.

Trimming a large piece of meat in preparation for the smoker or slicing vegetables is a real joy. Pay careful attention to safety best practices. Last Fall I cut a finger quite badly while trimming a large pork butt for pulled pork. I did not feel the cut but saw blood. You can also impress family and friends by s;icing tomatoes and grapes one  handed. I do recommend keeping a meat cleaver or heavy kitchen knife sharpened to 20° + for times when you need to chop bone.

John
do you man 12 on each side or 12 in total?
Thx
Ernst

John_B

Quote from: chiamsi on June 17, 2020, 07:52:26 PM
Quote from: john.jcb on May 25, 2020, 01:17:19 PM
Ken, I think once you start sharpening your kitchen knives to 12° and honing around 13.5° you may change your mind on what is sharp enough. I too made this change on kost of my my personal knives some time ago.

Trimming a large piece of meat in preparation for the smoker or slicing vegetables is a real joy. Pay careful attention to safety best practices. Last Fall I cut a finger quite badly while trimming a large pork butt for pulled pork. I did not feel the cut but saw blood. You can also impress family and friends by s;icing tomatoes and grapes one  handed. I do recommend keeping a meat cleaver or heavy kitchen knife sharpened to 20° + for times when you need to chop bone.

John
do you man 12 on each side or 12 in total?
Thx
Ernst

Each side.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease