News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Viel-PSI variable speed conversion

Started by stevebot, January 13, 2020, 08:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

Correction: Penn State Industries DOES offer the 1/2 hp variable speed motor and controller.  There is also a 3/4 hp model available.

Shaft diameter is the same so it should work. Has anyone built a Viel-PSI with the new motor?

PS: We have adapter plates in stock and expect 3" pulleys bored for the 15mm PSI shaft by next week.
sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Interesting post, Steve. I originally used the 1/4 hp ac motor from Viel. I never thought it was underpowered. Nor have I noticed the PSI half horse motor being underpowered. Please keep us posted.

Having started by making my own mounting plates, the ready made precision plates you have are the best way to go.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on January 13, 2020, 09:24:51 PM
...snip...
I originally used the 1/4 hp ac motor from Viel. I never thought it was underpowered. Nor have I noticed the PSI half horse motor being underpowered. Please keep us posted.

Having started by making my own mounting plates, the ready made precision plates you have are the best way to go.

Ken

Viel is not the entity that is replacing the motor, so is there anyone saying the stock motor is underpowered?  Likewise, PSI isn't marketing the half horse motor to Viel converters, rather to lathe users.  Quite possibly, those lathe users or somebody else, perhaps an engineer at PSI, felt the motor was underpowered, but that does not mean there has ever been an issue with its use in the Viel conversion. 

I too feel the old PSI motor is more than adequate for sharpening and grinding uses.  Just some thoughts. 

Has PSI increased the cost significantly for the higher powered motor?  Maybe it is just what is available from the suppliers in China. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

stevebot

Ken S

A 3/4 hp variable speed motor would be interesting for several tools: wood lathe, bandsaw and drill press immediatly come to mind. The extra power would be nice there.

Ken

stevebot

I have had a new batch of adapter plates made to facilitate this conversion of a Viel Tools S5 sander to variable speed using a motor from Penn State Industries, or PSI.
sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

Other parts needed are:
Viel S5 sander w/o motor
Viel 3 3/4 in. pulley bored for 15 mm arbor
Viel Tools https://www.vieltools.com/  1-800-463-1380

PSI variable speed motor
Penn State Industries.    1-800-377-7297)

3/4 hp motor is now available ZTCLC10VMO  $80
   ZTCLVS-70 1/2 hp motor  $50
   ZTCL4MCB CONTROLLER $45

The 3/4 hp motor and controller can also be purchased as TCLVSKIT2 Lathe conversion Kit $170

Max RPM is 1700. Coupled with a 3 3/4" pulley this gives a max belt speed of 1668 feet per minute. Stock Viel sander is 2747 fpm

Ken S

I converted two Viel belt grinders to variable speed and the 3 3/4" drive pulley several years ago. I described how to do this in the general conversation section of bessex.com.

I did this in my home workshop with very limited metal skills. The procedure was difficult. It became much simpler and neater with the advent of Steve's mounting plates. Steve is also a Viel dealer. He made arrangements with Viel to bore out the pulley from 1/2" to 15mm. This eliminated the need for a machine shop.  Steve also had Viel make up the smaller 3 3/4" drive pulley with 15mm bore. These transfirmed conversion from a machine shop job to a home workshop project.

A belt grinder is a useful complement to the Tormek, especially when run at slow speed.Anyone interested should contact Steve at sharpeningmadeeasy.com.

Ken

BeSharp

Anyone contemplating a 1 x 30 Harbour Freight (or equivalent) with a sewing machine motor - very popular on YouTube these days - consider this instead. IMHO, it's superior because the Viel accessory mount allows you to attach Viel accessories for sharpening kitchen & garden scissors, etc. It's also more compact.

Fun fact: Viel was a high school shop teacher in Quebec. After a few years, he did so well that he retired from teaching.

As I am in Canada, when I built mine, Viel sent me the modified pulley via Canada Post.

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on November 30, 2023, 03:36:06 AMI converted two Viel belt grinders to variable speed and the 3 3/4" drive pulley several years ago. I described how to do this in the general conversation section of bessex.com.
...snip...
A belt grinder is a useful complement to the Tormek, especially when run at slow speed.Anyone interested should contact Steve at sharpeningmadeeasy.com.

Ken

I also did the variable speed motor/pulley mod on a Viel and documented it on the bessec.com site, in 2019. I was very happy with it and modified it is other ways for working with Tormek jigs, etc. 

I did find that the PSI motor didn't run slow enough for my liking, so despite a warning from PSI to not mess with the three tiny pots inside the control box, I did and am even happier with it. 

I have most recently purchased the 3/4 HP PSI motor to put on an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe, to replace the 1/3 HP AC motor, specifically for the variable speed feature.  Haven't installed it yet due to other priorities, but it will happen soon. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I have found my modified Viel useful for many non sharpening tasks, also. I had a plastic adaptor for my shop vac which was just a little too large to fit. At full speed, the plastic would have melted. With the smaller drive pulley and the pots adjusted to run slower, I was able to reduce the diameter of the adaptor without melting it.

In my opinion, the Tormek and the Viel complement each other.

Ken