News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Repair SJ-200 Stone?

Started by schipperke, December 04, 2019, 03:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schipperke

My SJ-200 has a small chip on sharpening surface at edge of stone.  Is there any material to be had to fill in the chip?  Blade catches the chip, and wondering if there is any material to fill it, that would just wear down along with stone.  Maybe another solution would be rounding the edges of the chipped portion?  It's about 4x3mm area and maybe 1.5mm deep.

RichColvin

When I got chips, it was from being too aggressive with the diamond truer.  They didn't impact my use if the stone. 

If it does on yours, I'd round or bevel it out using the grading stone.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Schipperke,

You do not mention the cause of your chip. In addition to repairing the chip, part of moving forward should be avoiding whatever caused the chip in the future.

My answer will not be popular. If the chip interferes with using the grinding wheel, I would very carefully grind it away with the TT-50 truing tool. I would use the very shallow cuts I have advocated previously, perhaps being even more careful as it is the SJ Japanese wheel.

I realize the SJ-200 is a very expensive grinding wheel.

Ken

schipperke

Thanks all.  I think if I bevel it, should be fine, would keep the knife edge from catching.  No idea why it chipped, maybe I caught an edge.  Wondering if using the 4000 fine stone, if sharpening away from edge is just as good.  That would solve any blade edge chipping it it.  The stone really puts a nice polish on edge, finishing with imperceptible pressure applied.

RichColvin

I sharpen with the SJ stone turning away from me.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Hogdog6

i too sharpen with that stone edge trailing. My guess is that it would work well for your situation. I would still bevel the edge of the chip. If it still interferes as Ken said.  True it away... ugh.