News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Only Two Springs in Scissors Jig Clamp?

Started by RickKrung, November 20, 2019, 08:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I received today a pair of scissors that need to be clamped on the left side of the scissors jig clamp. 

Have not run it to this before.  So, I go to loose the left side and noticed it rattles and flops, whereas the right side wiggles and is springy.  Checking it out, I discovered the left side does not have the conical springs as the right side does (same springs as in the knife jigs). 

I am pretty sure I have never taken either side of these clamps apart; I didn't even realize there were any springs in there.  Anyone else's jig have only two? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Jan

Rick, the original SVX-150 has four springs. Two of them are lost in your case. It does not influence jig functionality because it only opens the clamp. When the blade is short it is mounted in one clamp only. See the attached picture. The bevel must be oriented towards the stone, flip your blade! The other blade will be mounted in the same clamp. Keep the blade protrusion as small as possible. Also the support plate should be mounted in the lowest possible position with respect to stone to prevent vibrations.

Jan

Josu V

My SVX-150 has four elastic springs ...

You need to find two of them, but for the image scissors, you only need two.

Regards.
Abusus non tollit usum

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on November 20, 2019, 10:05:15 AM
Rick, the original SVX-150 has four springs. Two of them are lost in your case. It does not influence jig functionality because it only opens the clamp. When the blade is short it is mounted in one clamp only. See the attached picture. The bevel must be oriented towards the stone, flip your blade! The other blade will be mounted in the same clamp. Keep the blade protrusion as small as possible. Also the support plate should be mounted in the lowest possible position with respect to stone to prevent vibrations.

Jan

My apologies. I don't know what I was thinking that caused me to think these scissors needed to be mounted on the left side.  You are very correct, these blades need to be flipped to the right side. 

Thanks to you and Josu for confirming that there should be four screws. I agree, they don't change the functionality, just the convenience of opening the jaws.  Not sure I'll bother trying to get two more, as I have yet to have needed the left side jaws and if I should, it would be very infrequent. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Josu V

I have no used the SVX-150 for a long time, but I remember that 98% of scissors could be sharpened using only one part of the SVX-150. Only with the longest scissors you need to use the second part of the SVX-150.
By the way, as Jan says, the springs only open the clamp; you can live with only two springs  ;D

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

Jan

Ken S

Rick,

I think a well equipped hardware store may carry the springs you need. If not, I would note the part numbers on a running parts list. Advanced Machinery prices are honest, however, they reasonably charge shipping. I like to combine orders whenever possible to reduce the number of shipping charges. (thrifty me :)  )

Ken