News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First Scissors to try sharpening.

Started by dusmif, June 28, 2019, 07:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Hi, I need some help and advice on these scissors.
After I impressed my wife with a couple of kitchen knives I have sharpened ( doing some training, not so happy with the final result, but she liked them ) I was asked if I could sharpen her scissors.
So, to justify my investment in the Tormek, I said, no problem.
Now, before I commit suicide I wish to have some hints, advice how I should tackle this, especially  after I noticed that these scissors  seems to have 2 bevels; ( see photo ) they can be separated if needed.
Can I do them freehand or shall I buy the SVX-150 Scissors jig.
Thanks
Alf.

John_B

The first thing I would suggest is to watch a couple of videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVl8lTiMlAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGFeBd8ZspM

I would not do this freehand.The angle is such that in my opinion you really need the jig. I have done a number of scissors and I think there is a definite learning curve involved. I did my first sharpening on sacrificial scissors where there was no loss if I was not successful. After that I found a box of scissors at work that were going to be discarded (thanks to going pretty much paperless) and worked on those. I have since done a few for customers. One thing I found was that many of the scissors were gummed up with glue from tape. I started all with a good cleaning. I also found that many needed tightening and a drop of lubrication. This actually brought some back into the serviceable region. I used a marker when setting the angle as I found that there is no standard angle especially between brands. Take your time and do not apply too much pressure.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

dusmif

Quote from: john.jcb on June 29, 2019, 12:44:34 AM
The first thing I would suggest is to watch a couple of videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVl8lTiMlAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGFeBd8ZspM

I would not do this freehand.The angle is such that in my opinion you really need the jig. I have done a number of scissors and I think there is a definite learning curve involved. I did my first sharpening on sacrificial scissors where there was no loss if I was not successful. After that I found a box of scissors at work that were going to be discarded (thanks to going pretty much paperless) and worked on those. I have since done a few for customers. One thing I found was that many of the scissors were gummed up with glue from tape. I started all with a good cleaning. I also found that many needed tightening and a drop of lubrication. This actually brought some back into the serviceable region. I used a marker when setting the angle as I found that there is no standard angle especially between brands. Take your time and do not apply too much pressure.
Thank you John,
One question I assume that I have to follow the small bevel of the scissors not the big one, right ? which I think it is not an easy job trying to do it with the WM-200 angle master.
Thanks
Alf

Jan

Alf, you definitively need the Tormek Scissors jig as advised by John.

You will replicate the smaller cutting edge shown red in your picture. Please try to remove minimal necessary amount of steel. If you remove too much steel than it may happen that the tips do not meet again!

Some scissors blades during grinding strongly vibrate and produce strange howling sounds. To reduce this effect mount the blade in the jig with smallest possible protrusion.

Jan

dusmif

Quote from: Jan on June 29, 2019, 09:29:40 AM
Alf, you definitively need the Tormek Scissors jig as advised by John.

You will replicate the smaller cutting edge shown red in your picture. Please try to remove minimal necessary amount of steel. If you remove too much steel than it may happen that the tips do not meet again!

Some scissors blades strongly vibrate in the jig and produce strange howling sounds. To reduce this effect mount the blade in the jig with smallest possible protrusion.

Jan
Thank you Jan for your informative advice.
I will order the scissor jig then.
Thanks
Alf

RickKrung

I agree with Jan.  I would not bother with the AngleMaster.  Just use the black marker and match the angle - of the small bevel.  I will reiterate that you definitely need the scissors jig.  Besides, the scissors jig platform is preferred by many for making other jigs.  It has better geometry than the other Tormek tool rests.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

dusmif

Quote from: RickKrung on June 29, 2019, 09:44:41 AM
I agree with Jan.  I would not bother with the AngleMaster.  Just use the black marker and match the angle - of the small bevel.  I will reiterate that you definitely need the scissors jig.  Besides, the scissors jig platform is preferred by many for making other jigs.  It has better geometry than the other Tormek tool rests.

Rick
Thank you Rick. will do. Now I think I have all the inforamtion I need.  I will watch  the vidoes  that John posted and hope for the best  ;D

Thank you guys,
Alf.

RichColvin

Alf,

Jan's comments are spot on. 

One more thing :  go slow and use VERY LITTLE PRESSURE!   Scissors grind down fast.  And you don't want to go too far.

As for angles, Steve Bottorff provided his experience, and I've catalogued them on my Sharpening Handbook at http://sharpeninghandbook.info/index-SC.html .  One thing he noted is that some scissors have different angles for the two sides. 

Here's a link to Steve's detailed information:  https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/scissor.htm

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

dusmif

Thank You RichColvin for your advice and useful links.
Alf