News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

how long should sharpening take?

Started by CHill8903, October 05, 2010, 03:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHill8903

I recently started using a Tormek 2000 that my dad has had for a while to sharpen HSS Logosol Planer blades.  The first set took a long time because I had to learn to use the machine.  But now i'm doing a second set and it is taking forever.  I trued the stone, and I think I regraded it correctly, using the edge of the grader every couple minutes of grinding.  I must have 40 minutes of grinding time on the first blade and still don't have the bevel completely ground.  I haven't tried my woodmaster or grizzly planer/jointer knives yet.  Could these blades be that hard or should I expect it to take this long?  I like the results but don't have the time to spend an hour per knife.  Any suggestions?

Jeff Farris

Make sure that the support beam is properly adjusted so that it is allowing the blade to touch the grindstone. Feel the grindstone. If you cannot feel the abrasive grains prominently, you need to use the stone grader more frequently and/or more thoroughly.

You may want to consider the SB-250 Blackstone Silicon, which is specifically formulated to cut high speed steel.
Jeff Farris