News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

reversible Tormek

Started by jeffs55, March 21, 2019, 11:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffs55

Some of us sharpen with the wheel rotating towards us and some with the wheel going away. I do it both ways just to see what happens. I wonder why Tormek does not have a switch to allow this instead of having to rotate the machine. Seems like a really simple option.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Good question, Jeff.

I'll make a couple guesses: The EZYlock threads would be going in the wrong direction in the reverse mode. Anyone using the horizontal sleeves with the motor running in reverse would very quickly have a flood.

In my opinion, the ideal set up keeps the Tormek in one orientation while allowing the operator to move around it.

Ken

Twisted Trees

It's more involved than choice of direction, the position of hands change, while a reverse option would help with some grinds working better from bottom of bevel others from the cutting edge. The operators stance is particularly important for those that spend a lot of time sharpening, so if making a platform for regular use spend time measuring yourself as well as the bench / cabinet so you are stood comfortably whichever way you have the wheel spinning.

If like me you are tight on space the Tormek is not hard to pick up and spin round, but a fancy option is a lazy susan bearing e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Metal-Lazy-Susan-Bearing-Rotating-Swivel-Turntable-Desk-Table-Rack/182922365470 ideally locked with a locking peg at any position you are likely to want to use it.

Elden

This has been discussed before. Another problem is that the friction drive is set up for the direction it is turning. Slippage would become a problem if reversed.
Elden

RickKrung

An inherent assumption in the premise here is that everyone uses the machine the way Tormek shows it being used > standing (or sitting) at the rear of the machine if using the vertical USB and from the front if honing or using the horizontal USB. 

I don't know how many others do not conform to this assumption, but I do know that I am one who does not.  I sit in front of the machine for all operations, vertical or horizontal USB and honing.  I have no need to move around the machine or to rotate it.  I have a Tormek rotating base but it no longer gets used. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Unlike Rick, I am not a professional sharpener.  I use my Tormek to sharpen tools as I need to use them ... particularly lathe tools.  So, I always sharpen whilst standing (then go and immediately use the newly sharpened tool).

Some tools sharpen best from the horizontal position, while others sharpen best from the vertical.  The Tormek rotating base makes this easy, and I use mine often.  It works as Twisted Trees wants one to do so.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on March 22, 2019, 11:36:05 AM
Unlike Rick, I am not a professional sharpener.  I use my Tormek to sharpen tools as I need to use them ... particularly lathe tools.  So, I always sharpen whilst standing (then go and immediately use the newly sharpened tool).

Some tools sharpen best from the horizontal position, while others sharpen best from the vertical.  The Tormek rotating base makes this easy, and I use mine often.  It works as Twisted Trees wants one to do so.

Kind regards,
Rich

As is usually true, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing and most of us find our own way through it. 

One point of clarification...   if Rich is referring to me, the "Rick", I am not a professional sharpener.  True, I did some stints this last summer/fall sharpening at a couple of farmers markets.  However, I did that as a means of support for my daughter who was the new manager of one of the markets, in the hope of attracting more shoppers to the market.  I don't think it worked.  I didn't like doing it.  I am not planning on doing it again, although, the vendors (half a dozen) at the local market's planning meeting were disappointed I won't be doing it again this year. 

As a partial indicator that I am not a pro, I haven't touched my Tormek five months or more.  I've been getting very much into woodworking since Nov.  I've added a router and router table and a Sawstop table saw to my arsenal and they have opened opportunities immensely.  I've had a table saw in the past and was familiar with what it can do, but I had never had a router table and was not aware of how versatile it is.  I've added a precision fence system and precision miter gauge accessories which greatly enhance the utility of both machines.  I've been generating so much sawdust, I've added a cyclone dust extractor to my shopvac and an ceiling mounted, high volume air filtration system.  It is beginning to look like this may be my next "serial obsession". 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

jeffs55

One point of clarification...   if Rich is referring to me, the "Rick", I am not a professional sharpener.  True, I did some stints this last summer/fall sharpening at a couple of farmers markets.

I have never sharpened professionally but in my humble opinion the Tormek would not work well for this. If you did it from another location instead of "on demand" like at a farmers market then OK. That is provided you had plenty of time. It is my opinion that a belt sharpener would be far better for sharpening on demand. The Tormek is just too slow.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

I would beg to differ. Like the others who have replied, I am not a professional sharpener. However, I do know at least one professional sharpener (now retired) who made a good extra income for many years as a farmers marker sharpener. His Tormek was his work horse sharpening machine, week in and week out. Check out sharpeningmadeeasy.com, Steve Bottorff's website or check out his you tube channel. Steve is very practiced and dedicated. His dedication payed off as a nice side income. Be sure to check out his Sharpening School DVD. Steve made it as a stand in for his teaching as he retired. It is excellent training.

Ken