News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Learning to use the jigs

Started by Santacarver51, February 28, 2019, 06:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santacarver51

I am a new owner of a T4.  I have been using the knife jig and the small knife jig.  As I use the angle master I find the angle I want is 30 degrees.  As I set the guide I cannot get the Knife to sit at the 15 degrees indicated by the angle master.  It appears that the length of the adjustment rod is too short to get the knife "flatter" on the wheel.  I have watched the video several times and have practiced on a few old knives, but I am not sure what I need to do to insure I am at the right angle.

cbwx34

Quote from: Santacarver51 on February 28, 2019, 06:20:31 PM
I am a new owner of a T4.  I have been using the knife jig and the small knife jig.  As I use the angle master I find the angle I want is 30 degrees.  As I set the guide I cannot get the Knife to sit at the 15 degrees indicated by the angle master.  It appears that the length of the adjustment rod is too short to get the knife "flatter" on the wheel.  I have watched the video several times and have practiced on a few old knives, but I am not sure what I need to do to insure I am at the right angle.

Any chance you can snap a picture or two of the setup you're trying to achieve?  (Unless someone else does without them...don't quite get it).  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Santacarver51

I can snap some pictures later.  Hopefully you or someone in the community can steer me in the right direction.

John_B

Have you watched this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6KqiwaCP4

There are a couple of steps that are important when using this jig. It is less than 2 minutes long but illustrates the setup very well. With the length added by the small knife jig you should have no issue even with shallow angles when it is affixed to the knife jig. Another thought, make sure the small knife jig clamping plate and the knife blade are on the same plane as shown. Using the bench for alignment works well.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Santacarver.

This article explains how I include the small blade holder with the kenjig. Although the article was primarily for the larger Tormeks, it works equally well with the T4. The only difference is the length of the groove for the Distance setting. The jig Projection is the same. I did the calibrations for fifteen degrees on each bevel.

Once you are content with one knife, you should never (or rarely) have to change any of the set up.

Try it. You can even make the jig out of cardboard. I made several prototypes that way; they work fine. If you have any questions, please ask.

Ken

John_B

Ken, I do not see a link.
Thanks
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)