News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

iOS Option for Calculating USB Height

Started by cbwx34, June 06, 2018, 12:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchman

I could not resist reacting, but reading from a table is really much faster  8)

Ken S

Dutchman,

I agree.

I think of our options in setting up knife bevels as a machinist cutting threads. For special jobs involving specific fits or non standard threads, the thread cutting metal lathe is the undisputed first choice. I think of the applet this way. For very precise and/or unusual bevel bevel angles, the applet has no peer.

If I need to thread a drilled hole for a Tormek accessory modification using an M6 thread, It is much quicker to use a thread tap. If I am sharpening kitchen knives with a standard 15° (30° combined) bevel angle, I reach for my kenjig, which is totally based on your grinding tables. Your tables, based on trig principles, once understood, are very fast to use and produce consistent results.

Incidentally, your tables, used with or without kenjigs are certainly not limited to knives.

I have Wootz' applet loaded onto my laptop. It is well designed and easy to use.  I think of it as my artillery, ready when needed. For my everyday sharpening, my kenjig is always in the top drawer of my work station. That humble looking piece of Baltic birch plywood has your tables as a basis, very solid math. It is nothing to look at. It is also a very efficient and accurate tool. I would not be a happy camper without it.

Ken

cbwx34

Removed...
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Removed...

RickKrung

CB,

I am quite pleased to have this iOS calculator available.  Now I don't have to have my computer in the shop, near my sharpening work, just my phone, which is in my pocket just about 24/7. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on July 02, 2018, 06:10:06 PM
CB,

I am quite pleased to have this iOS calculator available.  Now I don't have to have my computer in the shop, near my sharpening work, just my phone, which is in my pocket just about 24/7. 

Rick

Thanks! ;D

cbwx34

Removed...

Hohn

Why not just use the Numbers spreadsheet native to iOS? It works close enough to Excel you should have no problems doing basic Cosine rule types of calculations.

cbwx34

Quote from: Hohn on January 21, 2019, 08:14:12 PM
Why not just use the Numbers spreadsheet native to iOS? It works close enough to Excel you should have no problems doing basic Cosine rule types of calculations.

Removed...

RichColvin

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 21, 2019, 06:12:45 PM
The "calcapp" calculator company that I used to host the calculator on the cockloftsoftware webpage, is moving out of beta to a paid plan... so as the ol' saying goes, it has "gone the way of the dodo".  ;)

I could continue the calcapp calculator under some paid option, but I have found that the GoCalc option referenced earlier HERE, has become the one I use the most anyway... and has become the best option I think, for iOS users.

Android users still have wootz programs available of course, and Rich's Online Calculator is also there, that can be accessed from any web browser.

Just thought I'd let everyone know! :)

CB,

This really makes me sad.   What a great tool we're losing.  Thank you for moving us forward.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

A bit of good news... "calcapp" has agreed to allow my little calculator to continue for free... since it's a small program, and I have no commercial interest.  So thanks to them, it's back!

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator

I have revamped it a bit, and it now only shows results for measuring to the wheel.  This makes it more "universal" (it will work with the USB in any position).  It also has a better "Instructions" page.  (It also gives answers in both mm and inches, 'cause that's how I use it  :) ).

The app is web based, which means it'll run on any platform (it is essentially a web page).  If you know how, you can add it to the homescreen on a phone or tablet, and it will run as an app, even if you're not connected to the internet (it does have to run one time connected).

So, hope it's a benefit, and thanks to calcapp for letting it continue!  :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan

CB, thanks for your effort to make your little calculator available for us. I like it because it is free and it is so easy to use.  :)

I have verified the results of your Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator, comparing them with my results. I can confirm, that your calculator works correctly.   :)

Your "top of USB to stone" distance is systematically by some 0.01 to 0.02 mm smaller than my distances. This is negligible difference for sharpening practice.

I do not think the difference is caused by rounding. I guess it may be caused by some minor approximation in your math/geometrical approach.  ;)

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on March 18, 2019, 08:41:41 PM
CB, thanks for your effort to make your little calculator available for us. I like it because it is free and it is so easy to use.  :)

I have verified the results of your Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator, comparing them with my results. I can confirm, that your calculator works correctly.   :)

Your "top of USB to stone" distance is systematically by some 0.01 to 0.02 mm smaller than my distances. This is negligible difference for sharpening practice.

I do not think the difference is caused by rounding. I guess it may be caused by some minor approximation in your math/geometrical approach.  ;)

Jan

Thanks... appreciate you taking the time to check!  :)