News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Little advice

Started by AndrewEv, May 16, 2018, 05:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewEv

I'm looking at buying a thickness planer, and there are these two relatively new ones around the same price range and features. Has anyone had any first hand experience with either of them?

I'm leaning towards the King because I already have the King benchtop jointer and so they would share the same helical blades. But then the Mangum comes with Carbide blades, and the King only unofficially supports carbide blades. Both are helical.

I don't know much about Magnum. I think I've read they are a rebrand of General?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank u!

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Andrew. Regretfully, I don't know how much good advice you might get from us. We don't get much planer traffic on this forum. My planes are century old Stanleys, so I am no expert on planers. I don't think the Tormek can sharpen helical blades. Hopefully other, more knowledgeable members will reply.

Best of luck,

Ken

AndrewEv

I'm sorry to hear that :-[... I'm probably confusing something ... And on electric hand planer, you also can not advise anything? For some reason, it seemed to me that your forum includes (albeit in a nutshell) these topics

[sadness  confusing bewilderment]

Ken S

Andrew,

I believe you would be better served by a larger general woodworking forum such as sawmillcreek. Here is a link:

https://sawmillcreek.org/index.php

Most of the posts on this forum are about sharpening knives. The Tormek planer jig is designed for sharpening flat blades. The present Tormek grinding wheels are designed for carbon and high speed steel. We are primarily sharpeners. You need specialized advice from another specialty. Try sawmillcreek.

Ken

cbwx34

I had to look these up... know nothing about them.

If I found the correct info...apparently it takes a special machine to actually sharpen them.

But I did find a couple of videos, indicating they can be "touched up" on a flat surface... if not in too bad a shape?

One that might be of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlvZNYrGsFM

... the sharpener uses a flat diamond wheel for the task.  So maybe the side of the new diamond wheel might be up to it?

(But from what I read, if it needs more than a "touchup", a special machine/wheel is needed).

Feel free to tell me otherwise... no 1st hand knowledge here.  :o
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

AndrewEv

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 17, 2018, 03:30:16 PM
I had to look these up... know nothing about them.

If I found the correct info...apparently it takes a special machine to actually sharpen them.

But I did find a couple of videos, indicating they can be "touched up" on a flat surface... if not in too bad a shape?

One that might be of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlvZNYrGsFM

... the sharpener uses a flat diamond wheel for the task.  So maybe the side of the new diamond wheel might be up to it?

(But from what I read, if it needs more than a "touchup", a special machine/wheel is needed).

Feel free to tell me otherwise... no 1st hand knowledge here.  :o

Thanks for answer! I saw this video. Useful, but not quite on my question) anyway thanks for trying