News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How strongly do you press the leather wheel?

Started by Sharpco, November 08, 2017, 10:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

It is generally known that you should not press hard when honing. But when I use Tormek leather wheel without the jig, it is effective to press it strong enough. What about your thoughts?

brettgrant99

I very rarely use a jig on the leather wheel.  I don't feel that I press very hard.  More than the weight of the blade.  Less than I use for grinding.

Lately, I have been experimenting with hold the knife level and then moving the whole tool down the circumference of the wheel.  Kind of like using a paper wheel (I think.  I've never used a paper wheel.  But that is where I got the idea on to try this.).  This also allows me to polish the back of the bevel.  So far, I like it, it feels like I have more control.  I've only really done it with chisels at this point, my mind may change after doing some long chef knives, though.

cbwx34

I use light pressure.

Quote from: brettgrant99 on November 08, 2017, 03:43:15 PM
I very rarely use a jig on the leather wheel.  I don't feel that I press very hard.  More than the weight of the blade.  Less than I use for grinding.

Lately, I have been experimenting with hold the knife level and then moving the whole tool down the circumference of the wheel.  Kind of like using a paper wheel (I think.  I've never used a paper wheel.  But that is where I got the idea on to try this.).  This also allows me to polish the back of the bevel.  So far, I like it, it feels like I have more control.  I've only really done it with chisels at this point, my mind may change after doing some long chef knives, though.

I do something similar to this... not necessarily holding the knife level, but moving the knife along the circumference till I feel (and hear) when I'm making contact with the edge.  Especially on the smaller T-4 wheel, where the knife has to be manipulated to maneuver it.  I think it's a good technique.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I would approach this by using two or three of my sharpening chisels, honing them with different pressures and visually comparing them. The large bevels will tell the story.

I know you knife people prefer to use knives with smaller bevels. :)  Visually comparing the bevels and some test cuts will tell the tale. For those reluctant to use chisels, I do recommend purchasing at least two identical knives of reasonable quality for learning purposes.

Ken

cbwx34

Ken's post made me think of a key difference in how the honing wheel may be used (and therefore, a difference in pressure).  I don't polish with the honing wheel... I just use it to debur and clean up the edge, which is why I prefer light pressure, and only a few passes (usually just one or two per side) to do this.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)