News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What about barber scissors?

Started by Lape, May 02, 2017, 03:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lape

Hello.
Is the Japan stone fine enough?
The scissors used by professional hair dresser are really razor sharp and have a polished edge.

grepper

Beautician scissors are often both convex and radiused, and require specialized equipment to sharpen.  The Tormek does a great job on paper, kitchen and general purpose shears and scissors, but should not be used for beautician scissors if that is what you are talking about.

Ken S

Grepper,

Did you mean to type "should not be used'"?

Ken

grepper

Doh!  Thanks for the heads up Ken.   :-[  Fixed!  :)

RickKrung

We don't have any barber or beautician scissors, just a couple Fiskars and an old pair of Farr scissors I've used in my shop for years.  Abused the Farr by cutting carborundum paper for many years.  Sharpened the Farr and one Fiskars last night.  My daughter used the Farr for trimming my granddaughter's bangs and hair tonight.  Wasn't there to witness it, but it worked fine. 

During sharpening, I experienced the chatter spoken of.  Didn't seem to matter.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Professional level salon shears are very expensive and a demanding job to sharpen. We will do well to realize that these specialized professional tools are outside the design parameters of the Tormek.

For those wanting to include salon shears in their sharpening, please receive proper training and use proper machines for the job.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 09, 2017, 06:51:25 PM
Professional level salon shears are very expensive and a demanding job to sharpen. We will do well to realize that these specialized professional tools are outside the design parameters of the Tormek.

For those wanting to include salon shears in their sharpening, please receive proper training and use proper machines for the job.

Ken

Wasn't there a guy in the old Yahoo! Tormek forum that came up with a jig to do salon shears on the Tormek, using the King waterstone wheels?

In fact, I think this was it....  http://aquahone.com/

Jeff Farris claimed to do the convex shears on the leather wheel....  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=965.msg2302#msg2302
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

Your point is well taken. I would modify my statement to please make sure you have very adequate knowledge and plenty of experience before touching a working professional's salon shears. They are expensive tools and should be given the same respect as fine knives.

My concern is not to encourage beginners to jump in unprepared.

When pricing 4000 grit or diamond wheels, do not forget the 200mm Tormek wheels.

Remember, also, that Jeff Farris was one of the most experienced Tormek users on the planet.

Ken

Mick

Hi Guys,

I hope there is someone here that can help me. I am looking to sharpen lots of barber scissors and would like recommendation.

Was looking at this product line: https://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svx-150-scissors-jig/

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
My blog about home appliances:

https://www.veranda-interiors.com/best-juicer

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Mick.

The Tormek scissors jig is really designed for garden variety household, office and school scissors.
The general consensus over the years is that barber and beauty scissors require specialized equipment plus a lot of skill.
I think you would be happier with a more specialized tool.

Ken

Sweitzy

Oh that's a shame!  I'm waiting for my T8 to arrive, so I've been reading everything on these forums in preparation.  Since mentioning my purchase to a friend she asked about hairdressing shears and I told her that I didn't know.  She has since contacted me and told me that she has "lots" of other hairdressers who want their scissors done as no one locally offers this service.  :(

Ken S

Sweitzy,

I have been studying the you tubes by Wolff Industries (the Twice as Sharp company) and Fine Edge Beauty and Barber Supply. I am reaching the conclusion that it may be possible to sharpen these with the Tormek. However, this statement comes with a big IF: It would require some pioneering skill to develop the technique needed and maybe the jig. It would require some machinist work, both designing and actual machining. Developing the skill would probably require several sacrificial shears. You should be proficient and practiced before attempting to sharpen someone's expensive professional tools.

Forum members have greatly enhanced the scope of knife sharpening in recent years. This kind of advancement seems possible with barber and beauty scissors by members willing to make the considerable investment in time and money. I think the real question should be of practicality rather than possibility. If you feel you can generate enough revenue to make this profitable, I would strongly suggest you check out specialty machines and specialty training. Be prepared to invest several thousand dollars US.

I do not mean to discourage you.

Ken