News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

must have items

Started by Ken S, March 11, 2017, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I worked on some small sewing scissors for my wife's cousin today. I needed to clean off some minor surface rust. My faithful "old standby" set of three (fine, medium, and coarse) Klingspoor Sandflex rust erasers once again performed very well. They look like large erasers with abrasive running through them. I have used the same set for twenty years. I consider a set of them absolutely a must have shop item.

The other must have item I used today was an auger bit file. This is a small file originally designed to sharpen auger bits (going back to my younger days using a brace and bit daily as a telephone installer). The file is double ended. One end cuts with the two faces, the two edges being "safe", totally smooth. The other end is the opposite. The faces are smooth, and the edges cut. Both ends are tapered and can fit into tight places.

I was working on a very small pair of scissors whose tips did not touch. Borrowing a technique from Steve Bottorff's DVD, I filed some clearance to allow the tips to meet. I consider an auger bit file another must have item. Before leaving the subject of files, I would not be without mill files, especially the harder to find smooth and second cut. I usually find the common hardware store bastard cut (the correct term) too coarse.

Ken

dhansmeyer64@gmail.com

Ken,
I wanted to let you know about a video I came across about sharpening scissors. I found it very informative.

The video is about 13 minutes long but the interesting part about scissors not meeting at the tip is at 2 minutes. 
The rest of the video is interesting because she demonstrates her sharpening machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqX0eBXxe6U

Thought you might be interested.

David

RichColvin

One thing I have heard often is that shears for cutting hair, especially those for professionals, are best sharpened with specialized machines.  I have never attempted to sharpen such tools, but I will defer to those far more experience than I (e.g., Steve Bottorff) who advocate such approaches.

The Tormek is a great all-around sharpening system, but may not be the best for such a specialized purpose.  I think this just supports the value of the Tormek system though :  it is great for an all-around system and can sharpen a wide range of tools.  But for very specialized areas, there may be a different approach needed.

Kind regards,
Rich

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I agree with you. Salon shears seem like they require specialized equipment and, equally important, a lot of skill.

David,

Thank you for posting an excellent video. I subscribed to her channel and will certainly keep her in mind for sharpening my wife's beauty shears.

Ken

Josu V

Quote from: RichColvin on October 17, 2019, 03:37:54 PM
One thing I have heard often is that shears for cutting hair, especially those for professionals, are best sharpened with specialized machines.  I have never attempted to sharpen such tools, but I will defer to those far more experience than I (e.g., Steve Bottorff) who advocate such approaches.

The Tormek is a great all-around sharpening system, but may not be the best for such a specialized purpose.  I think this just supports the value of the Tormek system though :  it is great for an all-around system and can sharpen a wide range of tools.  But for very specialized areas, there may be a different approach needed.

Kind regards,
Rich

Your comment is absolute true.

Tormek is an excellent tool for sharpening industrial scissors or sewing shears, but the salon shears are an especial shears. Many times, this kind of shears has not bevel. This shears has a convex blade that need other kind of tool to sharpening and honning correctly.

I use the Twice As Sharp machine with one clamp speciall for convex shears.
The sharpening level with this kind of machines (Scimech or Hira-to) is absolutely higher than with Tormek with all kind of scissors/shears.

The sharpening test with shears is the cut of a wet layer of Kleenex handkerchief.  The cut must be clean to the tip.

Also, with this tools, you can reduced the sharpening time condiderably.

By the way;I have been following Bonika for a long time. She is an experimented sharpener  :D

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum