News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How sharp is sharp?

Started by Ken S, June 26, 2015, 04:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Thanks for mentioning the source, I was afraid I am missing something.

Jan

P.S.: Might be of your interest: "Can you sharpen a razor blade to a 1 atom width blade?".
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1oboky/can_you_sharpen_a_razor_blade_to_a_1_atom_width/

stevebot

I have been interested in chemical sharpening for a long time. It is great for sharpening a point but I have found no way to apply it to an edge. Chemical sharpening is used in production of fish hooks.
A friend is in the physics dept of a local university and has access to various exotic techniques like electron beam honing and deposition of a single atom layer of diamond but again, no practical way to apply it to everyday knives.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

SharpenADullWitt

The only chemical sharpening I was aware of, has to do with files, and my understanding is, restoration attempts.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

As Steve confirms, for the time being, the chemical sharpening to 1-atom edge has no practical application in everyday sharpener's life.

The single atom tungsten tip is high-tech scientific tool only. But it is surely not a final stage, there are much smaller particles in the micro world!   ;)

Jan