News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SB-250 question

Started by Ken S, March 19, 2016, 02:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have had mixed results with the SB-250, and am trying to optimize my technique. With the SG-250, heavy grinding pressure is encouraged, although not essential. I have found that in agreement with Tormek's advice that a light touch works better with the SB-250.

I was puzzled by both Tormek's short video about the SB and Alan Holtham's short video on grinding stones to see the SB used with a rapid feed. I am accustomed to a slower rate of feed. has anyone noticed any difference this way?

My latest sharpening with the SB-250 (my Chinese cleaver) went very well with the SB. I made one slow pass with the SB graded fine and the knife was sharp. (It was not very dull to begin with.)

I welcome advice from successful SB-250 users. I am already using the stone grader frequently.

Thanks,

Ken

wootz

Ken,
I thought you may know what abrasive the grindwheels are made of, as it is not stated in Tormek manual and website:
SB is silicon carbide, and SG - aluminium oxide, isn't it?

Ken S

bobl

Just replaced my standard wheel, which I have been using for a year on a professional basis on chefs Carving knives used in high volume carverys that slice on to a metal surface rather than on a board and also their utility knives that are used on a board.
I have loved the results so far. I will keep you posted as to how much difference there will be with the SB250.
Ref. Speed
Ref. Technique
Ref. Sharpness
I will trial and error on this and look upon it as an experiment.
Please be patient for results.
Cheers
Bob
( The Knife Grinder )

Ken S

Good thoughts, Bob.

We learn from experimenting. Please post your results.

Ken