News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US-105 questions

Started by SharpenADullWitt, July 21, 2014, 04:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

My 2000 came with a bar that has no threads or nut, and one like the earlier video's, where it has the black nut (no markings) and no hole on the end.  I didn't realize that until I tried to use the stop on the end.
When did they change and any idea of the depth and thread pitch (debating about drilling and tapping).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

You might consider upgrading to the newest model support bar.  It will fit your Tormek. Or, if you are mechanical, check out Herman's conversion.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I'm not the only one who has modified their older style universal support.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1569.0
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

Let me try to rephrase then, in a way that is more clear.
I have TWO bars.  The original, that is non threaded (fine for use with a home made bench grinder adapter).
The second, has the black, non marked nut on the threaded rod.
The new US-105 has a tapped hole on the end, for a stop (part number 3 on: http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/se-76-square-edge-jig/) part of the SE76 jig.   I am wondering when that hole came into being a part of the bar.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I believe the threaded end hole is a fairly recent feature.  My five year old support bar has it.  I don't use the end stop.  I have not had a problem with running blade held in the jig of the end of the stone.

Tormek moderator

The drilled and tapped end was introduced at the same time as the SE-76, which from memory was around 2007.

SharpenADullWitt

Thanks.  Worked with a wide chisel the other day and twice ran it off the bar.
That made me remember the stop, then found I couldn't use it.  More practice of Christmas list.
8)

Ken S

You could have an assistant hold his/her thumb on the end of the USB.  That should keep you from runing off the edge.  Moe importantly, the assistant might suggest you upgrade your support bar..... :)

Ken