News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

glazing questions

Started by albertcwfj, January 01, 2010, 08:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albertcwfj

Hi,
I am an new user of the T7.  So far I love it, and have been able to achieve some very sharp edges, but I do have some glazing questions.

1.  Is glazing associated with impurities in steal, dirt, water quality, chemical reactions, etc?  What is the science behind it?
2.  Do certain types of steal produce glazing more than others?
3.  I am getting glazing after 2 or 3 minutes of grinding some chisels that do not have a hollow grind.  They are large sorby timber framing chisels.  The glazing is streaky and is concentrated in the area close to the magnet. Cleaning the water and magnet area of the tray do not greatly slow the time it takes to glaze the wheel.  I spend 3 minutes grind, and then 2 minutes dressing.  This this normal, or is the some sort of user error?

Thanks,
J

Jeff Farris

Glazing does differ a little with the quality and composition of the steel being cut.  Any concentration near the magnet is probably a coincidence.  With large tools, it doesn't surprise me that you're seeing glazing in just a few minutes of grinding.  Use the corner of the grader, instead of the flat, and you should be able to refresh the surface in just a few seconds.
Jeff Farris

kucko6

Jeff,

This brings up a question.  When using the stone grader, is it acceptable to just keep it in one place, applying good pressure on the stone in order to clean up the wheel, or should one move it back and forth.  As I move it back and forth, I notice the stone grabbing some, so now I try using the support arm to stop the stone from getting away from me.

Jeff Farris

Side to side motion is not necessary.  I use it going from fine to coarse, but not so much going from coarse to fine.
Jeff Farris

Ern

I've been advised that from new the wheel is glazed and should be trued so that it cuts properly.

Any comment Jeff?
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

I don't know who advised you, but they're wrong.  ;D

The Tormek wheel is true and ready to go to work straight out of the box.  That isn't true of most grind stones, particularly for dry grinders.
Jeff Farris

sbirdranch

In regard to the last comment...I just purchased a T7 and although it didn't appear glazed, it was WAY out of true.  When I sharpened my first chisel I could feel the wheel moving my hands up and down.
I used the dressing/trueing tool and it was fine.

P.