News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bowl Gouge is Concave

Started by mitnottus, November 18, 2009, 06:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitnottus

I sharpened my first bowl gouge and was generally happy with the results but one of the edges is slightly concave.  I think it is because one side of the jig does not allow me to swing the tool as much as the other side.  I hope that makes sense to anyone who has had this same problem.  What can I do to remedy that problem?  Thanks to any responders.

Jeff Farris

With very few exceptions, you should have the same swing to both sides.  Please note that you don't want to rotate the jig past the point where the tool is level with the jig axis (see the TNT-300 video).

Generally, a concave edge indicates that you have ground too much material off the sides and not enough off the middle of the tool.  Mount it back up and work on the middle of the tool until you get that point back to where your cutting edge is straight or slightly convex. 
Jeff Farris

boehme

Like any other jig for turning tools, the jig only controls the angle of the edge and not the shape.  It is something that new turners encounter whether using the Tormek or a dry grinder.  It help to have someone show you the fundamentals of controlling the shape of a turning tool.

Mal55

Hi Jeff,
My bowl gouges have concave sides.  To correct this, you mention about "working on the middle of the tool until you get that point back to where your cutting edge is straight or slightly convex."
I take it that by the "middle" you mean the bottom of the flute.
Thanks
Malcolm

Jeff Farris

The bottom of the flute is exactly what I'm talking about.
Jeff Farris

Mal55

Thanks Jeff.
I thought it might be but just thought I'd ask.
The more I use the tormek, the more I like it for my sharpening.
Malcolm