News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Turning roughing gouges

Started by jessetab, August 12, 2009, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessetab

Ok I am new to this and just got my sharpener the T7. My problem is when I sharpened my gouges I keep getting the edge curved. That is to say when you look at the gouge from a level position the edge is not flat. A slight curve is noticed . The edge is razor sharp but not straight. any pointers would be helpful.

Jesse

Jeff Farris

Jesse,

Are you saying that the edges of the gouge are ground more than the middle?  That would indicate that you're pausing too long at the extremes before rolling the tool back the other way.  This can be corrected by making several sweeps where you do not go out to the edge at all, concentrating the grinding on the middle of the tool.
Jeff Farris

jessetab

Yes my first try made a kind of wave out of the edge. went back took a little more time and less pressure on the tool and was able to get the edge back. Big learning cerve. Wish someone gave hands on lessons.
Or that I would have taken shop years ago in high school. LOL

Jesse