News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

lift off the flat platform (scrapers etc)

Started by miles, July 19, 2009, 08:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miles

When using the platform (forgive me I'm not up to using the product codes etc yet!) in the horizontal position I find it hard not to have the tool dragged up the stone a bit.  This gives me a rather multi faceted look to the grind.  I'm not sure if this is important as I guess it does not impact the cutting edge but it does not look right!

Has anyone come up with a solution to this - I was thinking of a matching, parallel plat, possibly coated with something to make it hyper slippery which could be clamped gentle down on the top surface of the tool.  Thus you would be free to move the tool left and right but it would be unable to ride up the stone...  I certainly don't have the skills to make such a thing so I was wondering if anyone out there has already solved the problem?

Miles

Jeff Farris

Miles,

I use the horizontal mount for short bevel angles (55 degrees or greater) and use direct finger pressure downward to keep the tool on the tool rest.  For longer bevels, the vertical mount is a better choice.  The rotation of the stone forces the tool into the tool rest.
Jeff Farris

miles