News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Roughing gouge too big for the SVS-50

Started by rvarney, April 08, 2009, 07:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvarney

Hi,

I've got a large roughing gouge that is too big to fit into the SVS-50 - I've tried sharpening with the SVD -110, but it's pretty hard to control. Are there any better options?

Thanks,
Rich.

aunsell

HI
What I have done is just rigged up a system similar to the one used for the Wolverine Jig by Oneway.
It uses a tray at one end of a bar to cradle the end of the turning tool as it rests against the tormek stone and is rotated back and forth.
Setup is not as quick as the Tormek jig but I like it a little better because I am able to put more pressure on the tool while sharpening.
I just used a foot or so long board and put some small nails in one end in a half circle shape making a "poor mans" Wolverine Jig. the other end I just clamped to a table and moved the Tormek forward or backwards to set the angle.
Simple and cheep  :)
Adam